Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Schooling 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wybnormal

Technical User
Apr 8, 2000
US
I just signed up for an *internet security* class offered at UCI here in Southern Cal.. turns out the instructor is using "CISSP All-in-One Exam Guide" as the text book. This should be an interesting class given it ties in nicely with my certification desires :) The price is right compared to many of the 5 day classes and the like. It's 500 and worth 3 real credits. Not the wannabe CEUs.

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Mike,

I am a proponent of providing training through the academic sector, as well. Many techs can't afford the $2500+ to take a five day class, but are willing to spend a semester and $300-400 to get the knowledge required to succeed. I am slated to teach a CCNA Academy at the local community college this fall (after earning the CCAI designation from our Regional Academy at the University of Arizona) and would like to develop a security class along the lines of your description. Let me know how your class goes. If you don't mind, send me a copy of your syllabus to jbaugh(at)aepnet.com It might help sell the program to the Dean.

I used the CISSP All-in-One Guide, as well as the Krutz & Vines CISSP Prep Book to do most of my self-study before taking the test. While my CIO payed to send me to a prep class, IMHO, there was more value to the self-study regimen and years of experience in passing the test than in a five day class. I can see where a semester long track would allow an instructor to cover the essential points, embellish with some "live-fire" examples and truly prepare a student for success.

Thanks and good luck in your future endeavors,
Joe Joseph B. Baugh, PMP, CISSP, CCNP, CCDP, CCSE, CUE
Network Services Manager, Sierra Southwest Cooperative

No problem... I would suggest that you send me an email off line from here to remind me to place it in Outlook. If the class works out, 500 is s steal compared to many other classes I've looked at. Drop by the website and use the contact us form to drop a line

Yes.. the long track with a decent instructor is invaluable over the cram and forget it idea.

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

To all Security Pro,
I'm currently looking into getting a security certification. I really don't know which road to take. My experience is not great enough for the CISSP yet but I do want to get a security cert that shines in the eyes of the corporate world.

Any suggestions??

Rivaman
MCSE,CNA,Net+, A+
Systems Administrator

Rivaman,

Have you checked into the SSCP certification. It is the entry level to the CISSP cert and only requires knowledge of seven security domains, rather than the 10 required for the CISSP. The test is half as long and the prerequisite experience level is less, as well. Take at look at for more information on this certification.

There are a number of other security certs out there, including the SANS tracks. If you are experienced in a particular vendor product line, Checkpoint has the CCSA/CCSE certification track, Cisco has just announced that the CSS1 is being remolded into a full fledged CCSP track, very useful if you work with the PIX platform. Other vendors also have security certifications, as well. Check individual vendor websites for more information. In fact, if you don't have very much experience in security, but have a solid basis in networking, I believe that CompTIA is coming out with a general Security+ certification. Not sure what the value of it is, right now, other than a basic entry level certification, but what the h***, everybody has to start somewhere and it would get you headed down the security trail. Just as with all topics technological, once you get on the certification treadmill, beware, it never ends, there is always something new to learn and/or respond to.

Good Luck in your endeavors,

Joe Joseph B. Baugh, PMP, CISSP, CBM, CCNP, CCDP, CCSE, CUE
Network Services Manager, Sierra Southwest Cooperative

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends." -- Joe Ely: Love And Danger, 1993

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back