Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

schema.ini help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgould00

Programmer
Feb 18, 2003
US
hello...
i have a section ov VBA that exports a table to a comma delimited .txt using:

DoCmd.TransferText acExportDelim, , "finalTable", "c:\database.txt"

which works great, but it has "" around all the text fields. i found some code that will generate an "on the fly" schema.ini file which should tell the export to not use the "" around the quotes - which also seems to be working because it creates this:

[database.txt]
ColNameHeader = False
CharacterSet = ANSI
Format = CSVDelimited
TextDelimiter = none

in schema.ini in the same directory as database.txt

however the export seems to be ignoring the schema.ini. i have googled this for 2 days and cannot find anything on this...

PLEASE HELP!!!

thanks in advance
-mike

mgould00,
Change [tt]acExportDelim[/tt] to [tt]acExportFixed[/tt] so the database engine knows to use the Schema.ini file?

CMP

[small]For the best results do what I'm thinking, not what I'm saying.[/small]
(GMT-07:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada)

thanks CMP,
i tried you solution, but that threw an error that i need a "specification name argument". i should mention that i am using access 2007 and the steps for creating a specification name that i have found obviously do not apply to '07. which is why i am trying to use the schema.ini...

thanks!
-mike

mgould00,
Give this a try, I know the KB article is for Access 2000 but what the heck.
Code:
DoCmd.TransferText acExportFixed, [b]"c:\Schema.ini"[/b], "finalTable", "c:\database.txt"

ACC2000: Error When You Try to Use Schema.ini to Import or Export with the TransferText Method

Hope this helps,
CMP

[small]For the best results do what I'm thinking, not what I'm saying.[/small]
(GMT-07:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back