Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Schedulling some activities

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcarneir

Programmer
May 17, 2001
VE
I need to download from some servers a lot of files and process them. If the file is not in the server I want to wait X time. I think I need some timers controls.

What can I do??

You’re generating a lot of questions; more than answers.

If you are expecting files to be downloaded, why do you need Access at all, since Access deals with tables easier than files? Why does your PC process have to download them at all. It would be much easier if your other process, either on main frame or another PC, simply drop the files in a shared network folder. That way your program does not have to worry about what files to download, all it needs to know is what folder contains the downloaded files.

What are those downloaded files supposed to contain and what are you going to use them for.

And, what does any of this have to do with Access?

So far, from what I have seen from your post, your process is looking more like a candidate for Visual Basic rather than Access.
Robert Berman
Data Base consultant
Vulcan Software Services
thornmastr@yahoo.com

The file contain data.The data is about sells and another transactions and is put in tables. Afterwards, the code creates statistics and reports.

I want automatize the weekend work.

Thanks for the additional information.

It appears as if you have a main frame computer that is going to be passing you some text files with information based on sales, buys, trades, etc. you will be using that information to update a number of your tables.

Are you planning to get these files using
1. FTP
2. A shared common folder on the network.

Take a very close look at the Transfer Text method in Access.

As far as waiting for specific files which was one of your original questions; you can certainly use a timer on a form and trigger your capturing functions based on the firing of the timer event.

You might want to consider somewhat of a notification system between you and your mainframe such that your mainframe send a semaphore which your program periodically checks for; say every twenty minutes or so. Once it is received, its existence means you have files waiting for you to download and you can activate the appropriate process.
Robert Berman
Data Base consultant
Vulcan Software Services
thornmastr@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back