Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scheduling

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiflyer

Programmer
Sep 24, 2002
US
I have a PERL program which checks a POP3 mailbox every so many minutes (configurable of course)... and I'm wondering if the best way to use this is to launch it, and have it call the necessary functions every X minutes, or to schedule it with AT/Cron to run every so many minutes?

Thanks,
Rob

skiflyer - I would recommend running it as AT/CRON job. Building scheduling into your script will just make it more complicated and possibly error prone. Why not use the tools that are built specifically for this when you can? :)

- V.

You can even create a crontab file which will have the job of checking your POP3 mails during the assigned time level. I even used crontab to schedule the transfers and this is the best method of having any schedule jobs to run.

Ciao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back