Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

scheduling task

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gianricus

Programmer
Apr 2, 2003
IT
hi,
i have a big problem. In my pc i had shedule an application. that start any day.

For 10-15 days the task scheduled start and is all ok,
but later the task don't start for this error:

"Incorrect password"

Anyone have this problem?

Bye

Have you added or changed your account password? If so you need to update the scheduled task to reflect this change.

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

If this is a stand-alone password, consider using the local Administrator account and password.

As Greg points out, if you have a password expiry policy set, Scheduled Tasks will not pick up the forced new password and the Scheduled Task entry needs to be edited again to reflect the change.

No, i don't change my password and i don't set the expiry policy.
I don't know, in my network wiyh win xp pro this problem is present.

Thanks

Use the runas... feature of Task Scheduler and use the local Administrator account.

Why?

Because the runas is scheduled under a user account. If the system is in a screensaver lock mode, hibernate, or standy, or sometimes because it feels like it, its only recourse is to use Local System, and local system has very limited rights.

You could using services.msc change the logon authority from local system to NT/Authority, (Service Pack 2 for XP does exactly this, which confounds some scheduling and remote access products completely). But it is a safer logon for the Task Scheduler service.

Two thoughts:

. I create a Administrator-priviliged account, no password experiation, and then flip through Administrative Tools, Local Policy, and deny it access to anything that could possibly harm the system. If this is a password protected local workstation, then do not worry about local policies. Create a new Administrative user, and use the Runas... feature of the Task Scheduler to assign the logon to this new user (with password!).

. As Service Pack 2 is imminent, apply SP2 final when it appears. Remove all of your existing scheduled tasks, as many may not work as defined under SP2. Rebuild them.

Bill Castner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back