Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scheduling single tasks on non-consecutive days

Status
Not open for further replies.

jspaone

Instructor
Aug 20, 2009
US
I want to schedule tasks (i.e., school classes) that run on four non-consecutive days over a two-week period. For example, a class will meet Monday and Wednesday for two weeks. The total hours of the class = 12 hours (3 hours each day).

How do I get Project to set this type of schedule?

Is the class one single task? Schedule the class with a duration of 2 weeks. In Task Information, change the Task Type to Fixed Duration. Then use the Task Usage view to place 3 hours in Mon Wed Mon Wed. On the Gantt view, it will show like a split task.

Thanks Variscite. This was helpful. However, I want to be able to see the classes in the Calendar view with time info (start-stop), instructor name, and class name. So far the only way I've been able to do this is to create each class day as an individual tasks. This isn't the most efficient way. Any thoughts?

Creating each class day as an individual task seems to be the only way. Even when the task is scheduled as I said before, and the calendar bar styles are changed,it still doesn't place the info at every bar. Maybe another project management software will do it.

Each class is a single task.

Link the tasks then double click on the linkage between two tasks (classes) and set the lag to 2 o 3 days as is appropriate to your requirements.

Your situation is closer to a process than a project and Project isn't the best piece of software for a process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back