Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scheduling Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

inet28

MIS
Nov 1, 2001
US
I'm having a problem with our current CR 8.5 environment. Currently, we're using CR 8.5 Dev Ed and using an IIS web server, which hosts our reports. We've created our own html pages with links to these reports. My problem is that some of these reports are extremely large and take some time to run over the web. I've found that saving the reports with data really improves performance when opening these reports from the web.

I'm trying to find a way (without paying money) to automate the process of refreshing these reports each night and saving them with data over the existing files. I don't like the Crystal Decisions Scheduling solution because it doesn't overwrite the existing file--instead it saves the report to a different directory with a different name each night. This makes it hard for us to hard code the links off our webpage to hit these reports since they're saved each night with a new name and location (and I can't figure the logic in which it names the reports).

I've tried the APOS solution and it works really well, but under our current budgetary constraints, I'm not going to get the green light to purchase $4000 worth of software. I've also tried CrystalDesk, but it can't handle subreports, so that product is practically worthless to us.

Does anybody have any ideas? Would this be very hard to do by creating a VB project (I'm a novice to VB).

Thanks
inet28

Sure... a VB solution would work nicely - and it would be a elatively compact scheduler for you. Once you've defined the reports and the schedule time, it would be a relatively straightforward app to call the report up (off the system time) and 'run' it... ECS DataSystems, Inc.
A Crystal Partner

Several possibilities
1) the strange report names can be deciphered. Have a look at the CE8 database Enterprise creates. You could use some ASP code to find the latest instance of the rpt with saved dtaa and then point your link to that.

2) or have a VB that interrogated the Enterprise DB, and copy the rpt to the name you wanted.

3)I've got a report scheduler that will generate the rpt file and you can control the destiantion and name. Visit for details

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back