Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scheduling Reports in Crystal 8.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ktwhite

Technical User
Mar 6, 2003
US
Using the Crystal Reports 8.5 Developer edition, and/or the Crystal SQL Designer Tool, is it possible to Schedule reports to run at a specified time and date without using any of the Crystal Web Components? Since we will be using Crystal Reports to support many of our clients, using RDC with Active Server Pages, or Crystal Enterprise is not an option. This does not seem possible, however before I move forward I just want to make sure.

Thank you

Ken

See faq149-1479 for a discussion on this.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports
dgilsdorf@trianglepartners.com

WOW! Thank you very much for responding to my thread with all this good information.

Ken

In a nutshell, CR has never had a scheduling mechanism in place.

They did have a distribution module that would allow one off scheduling but this was a limited tool with lots of trouble and as a result has not shipped since v7 and is not supported in v9.

This [scheduling] is a feature set of the Crystal Enterprise product line.

Cheers,

SurfingGecko
Home of Crystal Ease

Thanks for the excellent wrap-up. I have used the CR Distribution Tool with v7, and it does have it's limitations. I did download the scr8 distribution executable from the CR website, although I'm not sure it will work for us. I'll give it a spin in a test environment.

Ken

The distribution tool will only allow you to compile reports, you cannot schedule anything with it.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports
dgilsdorf@trianglepartners.com

Thank you for the clarification.

Ken

You can schedule a report with it, but as I mentioned it will be a one off. What I mean is you could run your reportname.exe and choose when to run the report.

Once it runs, you will need to go through the run >> schedule process again.

Also, the download is the same tool as was integrated in v7. They just made it a separate module. No new functionality.

Cheers,

SurfingGecko
Home of Crystal Ease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back