Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scheduling .exe files in CR Ent 8 Standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlewis

Programmer
Jan 4, 2002
CA
Hi all!

I have a situation in which I have to schedule an .exe in Enterprise 8. The .exe uses the automation dll to spawn about 500 employee reports on a monthly basis. Our current setup uses Seagate Info 7 (which allows scheduling of .exe), but we are having problems with it. Enterprise 8 allows me to browse to "All Files" when searching to insert it into the APS, but fails when I OK the dialog box. It reports that the file is in an unrecognizeable format or is corrupt.

Does anyone have a solution?

Much appreciated!

Hello again,

Just got word back from our sales rep at Crystal Decisions. Currently, Seagate Info is the only program they have that can schedule executables. I hope they add that functionality to CrEnt soon. It sure would make my life easier :-
Just thought you'd all like to know.

In order to schedule a .exe you'll have to use NT scheduling. CE only allows for the hosting of .rpt files. I believe the next version will be supporting event scheduling, so in that version you may be able to say, "when this event happens" run this .exe.... but the .exe won't be "published" to CE, it would just have be sit in a directory that CE can access.

Scheduling .exe is not supported yet. They plan on adding this functionality in the next release

Hi

Have you tried "Scheduled Task" or "at" command under Windows NT / 2000 to schedule the .exe file

Kan

You may use a exe file wrote in VB, and run the exe file at Task Scheduler or Win At. The exe file can use Infoobject's schedule methods to generate your report instances.
I heard CE8.5 has a distribution server which can be used to send report instances to network printer, to email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back