Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scheduling an IPL on i5 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

angels2

Technical User
Apr 4, 2004
US
I would like to schedule an IPL for Sunday Morinings on my i5 I use the Go Power but need help from there to create the schedule I would like it to do an IPL at 3am Sun morning
Thanks for help

so after you do, the go power,,,and have that menu up,, then do a option 2,, and set the days and times of the power up and down, what seems to be the confusion??? The time is always in military time, so 3:00 am, in the morning, is 03:00:00. And 6:00 PM at night,,, would be 18:00:00. Questions??

How far apart should I set the power off and power on if I want it to power right back on?

On our development system, it's 1 hour. We power off at 5:30 and power back on at 6:30. (I can't look at the power schedule for the production box, but IIRC it's similar; just on a different day of the week).

Feles mala! Cur cista non uteris? Stramentum novum in ea posui!

I have a question. (Not being a smart ass) Why do you need to IPL so often? I thought since V4R3, it really wasn't necessary. Although I understand it does some clean up (QSPL), but isn't weekly quite a lot?

Mark

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Here is my two-cents worth. We currently IPL our i5 on Sunday mornings. We started this practice back on V3 and a CISC box - mostly to reduce temporary address space usage. The main reason I have continued is our users are used to and expect the system to go down for a few minutes each Sunday. I use the job scheduler (WRKJOBSCDE) to initiate the IPL. I use the following command: PWRDWNSYS OPTION(*IMMED) RESTART(*YES) The advantage of using this method is the system restarts as soon as the power down has completed. In our case, the system is restarted in 15-20 minutes. Another advantage is the way the system powers on, it will apply delayed PTF's. My understanding is the POWER scheduler does not use the proper power-on command to apply delayed PTF's.

Ikmalee I agree with your comments. Using IBM's job scheduler is the best way to go. I've been doing it this way for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back