Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

scheduled tasks won't run

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdee1

Programmer
Feb 6, 2004
US
ok i have a weird problem with scheduled tasks.

i have CFMX6.1 on windows 2003 server, and i hav scheduled a few tasks via the CF administrator. the tasks are supposed to just send an email containing some data.

when i explicitly go to the CFM in my browser it works fine, but when the scheduled task is supposed to run, nothing happens.

and when i look in the scheduled tasks log, there is nothing.

what coudl be going wrong?

bdee1, see of your SMTP mail server is set up right. Contact your hosting company as them to allow your IP to send/receive emails from you domain.

[sub]

yeah the SMTP server is set up correctly because if i just opena web browser and go to the url for the CF template that i am trying to schedule, the email sends and it works great, the problem is with getting it to run a a scheduled task in CF_administrator.

and this an intranet website so there is no host or ISP involved. it is our own local server.

If its a intranet site, then ask your LAN admin to see if you have certain permission granted. If your behind a firewall then that might also prevent the cfschedule from running right.

Do this:
go to the cfadministrator
go to Server Settings -> Mail
under Server Settings see what IP address is there. Point it to the local server and see if that works
also, check the Servre Port to see if its right, and check the box marked Maintain connection to mail server

[sub]

Look in your application log file, if there's an error it should be there. When you say there is nothing in the scheduled tasks log, do you mean there are no errors or that the log is completely blank?

Since you don't seem to have any problems running it manually, it looks to be an issue with the server's scheduling. I don't know where to start troubleshooting that, you may want to check for "goofy" stuff like making sure the server isn't rebooting at the same time your task is supposed to run. Also, in the CF Administrator see if you can click "Run Scheduled Task" and run it instead of trying to pull it up in a browser.

Hope This Helps!

Ecobb

"My work is a game, a very serious game." - M.C. Escher

GUJUm0deL,

I am having the exact same situation with CF scheduler now. I too am running CFMX6.1.
I have an email task which I am trying to schedule. It runs fine if you go directly to the URL, but when scheduled it does nothing. Only message that gets logged is in the scheduler.log, which only tells me that the task was executed.
Did you come up with a resolution to this, or perhaps is this a bug with CFMX6.1 scheduler?

yes i did find a solution to it (its workign now) but it has been long enough that i can't remember specifically what i ended up doing to resolve it. plus i have since upgraded to MX7.

i am thinking that i may have reinstalled coldfusion to resolve it but i am nto sure - i will try to look at my old notes today and see fi i can find the solution.

well i looked at my old notes and didnt see much so my best guess is that i must have reinstalled coldfusion to get it to work. although a "workaround" that I used for a while was to setup a scheduled task in - windows to launch IE and point it to the url of my scheduled template.

the command i used was "C:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe"
be sure to put the quotes in there because of the spaces in the foldernames.

so although its probably not the solution you are looking for at least it will get you through until you find the realsolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back