Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scheduled Task

Status
Not open for further replies.

drkestrel

MIS
Sep 25, 2000
GB
I have got 3 scheduled tasks:
1) one with a CMD file that use the rasdial command to dial an internet connection using
2) one with a CMD file that runs a perl script to send out an email using a SMTP server with ISP
3) one with a CMD file that use the raddial command to disconnect from ISP

All 3 sceduled tasks have been set up to run as a local user with a valid password which is not blank set.

All 3 tasks, when I right click and press run could run successfully.

However, sometimes the tasks "fail to start". How could I find out why? The scheduled task just says "fail to start" with a status code which I don't know how to interpret. There's no password issue (I think), although I think sometimes the tasks fail regardless of whether the machine is suspended or not (I did tick the box, wake up machine to run task). Is there a bug or something? Is there something I could do to ensure the PC really wake up from suspension to run the task?

Hi,
U can check the application logs on the PC by right clicking on my computer-manage-event viewer-system(or application)
SOrt the events in order of time and check to see if anything happened when the skripts were supposed to run.
This is the start but it may lead to more clues as to why it isnt working.
Let me know if u get any strange logs,
JP

I think that you need to work on isolating this problem.

You have 3 different tasks, do they all fail or is it just one that fails? Is it a different reason for failure for each task or is it exactly the same error message/reason?

Could you test to see if a normal executable file runs as requested (eg. notepad.exe) - does this display a problem?

If you can get one task to function correctly without any errors, then the problem likley lies with your CMD scripts, the command line string used to run the CMD or user name / password and/or user privilages.

However if notepad.exe fails to work, you may have some other outside influence that is causing failure. EG - suspend. Why not try disabling suspend for a while to see if the problem still continues? ( control panel>power options )

Event viewer revealed no errors whatsoever.

The task sometime fail to do what it suppose to do non-determinstically, regardless of whether machine is suspended.

For instance, on the last run of the second mailing task, the "status" is 0x16, although scheduled task did not indicate that it "Fail to start".

Just what is going on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back