Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scheduled task does not run if logged out 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkrausnick

Programmer
Apr 2, 2002
US
The task has been running faithfully every night for several years with the computer logged in 24/7. I decided that it would be more secure to log out at night. Now the task does not run, it says "could not start". I re-entered the password for the user account in task settings; no help.

If I log in without changing the task settings in any way (except to update the start time for re-test), the task runs.

The account is a domain-level account with membership in the local machine administrators group.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Mike Krausnick
Dublin, California

Wow....
I've been working on the same problem for the pass week as well. My problem is somewhat similar. I need to schedule an executable and some copy command to run at midnight and for some reason, the copy commands will work but not the executable. I've tried different ways to get it to work. The executable is local and it simply takes a file and converts it to a different file. the command that I use is as follows.

@echo off
copy c:\Folder_A\File_A to c:\Folder_B\File_B
cmd /c "c:\Folder_C\executable.exe convert"

The problem that I am getting its the convert switch. It will run the executable without the switch. I am just clueless.

Another problem that I also have with another schedule task is the task will run fine when I am login. But if I am logoff or even locked the workstation, it will not run at all. If I locked the workstation and log back in after the schedule time, it will give me some kind of .net error or something.

Both of this problems is driving me crazy as they are the opposite scenario. I think my brain cells are dying on me.

I am having the same issue.
I just need the batch file to copy or move files from one net work drive to another. My batch file looks like yours with the exception of the exe. It runs from the command prompt, but not through the scheduler.

Thanks,

Leo ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back