Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scheduled Jobs won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksiler

IS-IT--Management
Apr 8, 2002
US
I had a job that was running over the weeked and it got stuck. I thought it was backing up for over 56 hours and the byte count was 50 times larger than my hard drive. I couldn't cancle it, so I rebooted the server. Now none of the scheduled jobs will start at the scheduled time. Even if I tell it to RUN NOW it just schedules it for whatever time it currently is and then never runs. I'm running on an NT 4 box with Backup Exec version 8.6 SBS. Anyone have any ideas?

Mark
msiler@firstdartmouth.com

First things I would check:

- System date and time (the date isn't set to 2099 or something, you'd be surprised how often I've seen that)
- Revision number of BE. Is there an upgrade available?
- Maybe defrag the data you're trying to backup. That has gotten me through some weird problems with BE before.
- Check the online knowledge base.

Hope that helps

[yinyang] In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

Found at the veritas support site:

A scheduled job will not run at the scheduled time if any of the conditions are true:

1. The scheduled job cannot run because the storage device that the backup job will use is currently in use by Backup Exec, in use by another application or is not ready.

If using Backup Exec v6.x, either close Backup Exec or change the default device to "None" under the Settings | Hardware menu.
Either a previous job is still running or intervention is required for that job. If intervention (like a media request) is needed, an "alert" will be displayed. By clicking on the "alert", an alert message will be displayed . Respond to the "alert" message for the job.
If another application like NT Backup is currently using the storage device, close that application. Also, if using Backup Exec (v7.x), go to the Devices tab and verify the tape drive is ready for use.

2. The job is scheduled for another date. Verify the scheduled in either Backup Exec or ExecView.

3. The storage device or backup server has been "paused" in ExecView or Backup Exec (v7.x). When paused, all future scheduled jobs will be paused until the backup server or storage device is "resumed". Make sure the backup server and storage device have not been paused in the Server and Devices pane in ExecView or on the Devices tab in Backup Exec (v7.x). A paused backup server or storage device will be displayed with the word "Paused" next to the backup server or storage device. The device can be "resumed" by highlighting the paused backup server or storage device then choosing the Server | Resume Server/Device menu in ExecView or Resume in Backup Exec for Windows NT v7.x. In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

I'm running Backup Exec Ver. 8.60 Rev 3808 Small Business Server Edition.

1. I ran: Confirm backup Device Availability and it found the tape drive and everything checked out ok.

2. I check the system date and it was: Tuesday, April 9, 2002 and it was the correct time.

3. I confirmed the following services ARE running: (All services start with Backup Exec 8.x)
- 1. ... Agent Browser
- 2. ... Alert Server
- 3. ... Device & Media Service
- 4. ... Job Engine
- 5. ... Notification Server
- 6. ... Server

All are started and Automatic.

4. Confirmed that the device was NOT paused. I paused it then un-paused it just to be sure.

** It did not backup last night and when I rebooted this morning it showed the job that was scheduled for Monday night as "missed" as the Job Status.

** I went to the Device Tab; Selected the device -Right Clicked and selected EJECT from the popup menu; The Active Monitor Tab changed to Blue as if it was running a job. I switched tot that tab and the Job class was listed as Active; The job class was listed as Active; The job Type was Eject; The job Status was Queued; Percentage complete was 0% adn the Elapased Time was not moving as showed 0:00:00 -- I'm now stuck as I can't stop or cancle this job.

I don't know what has happened. For months prior to this all has been well.

--Mark [sadeyes]

If you are at a point where you are stuck and you can not do anything, stop all Backup Exec Services and then start them. Launch BackupExec to view jobs and then try to run a job. Quick Question, do you have a single tape device or a tape library? [neutral]

Another thing that comes to mind is the user account that's used for the Backup Exec services? Is it a valid account? Does it have the correct password? Does it have the 'logon as service' right?
Oh, do you have anything in the event logs regarding Backup Exec? Any indication why it would miss a job?

[blues] In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back