Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scheduled Job crashes, runs on restart 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiservguy

Technical User
Jun 10, 2004
US
We're running BAB 11 on a Dell PowerEdge NAS and tape backup. I have two backup rotations defined, one for user data and one for images, both scheduled to run Tues. - Fri. am (differential) with a full backup on Saturday. (The jobs are set to run 6 hours apart, so there's no conflict with the NAS/tape unit.)

The user data job works flawlessly. The image job crashes every time (status is paused and last result is crashed). When I switch the status to ready, the job restarts and runs without a problem. I've tried changing user credentials to access the shares and changing the order of directories/shares backed up to no avail. I've increased the logging to full with no help.

The last message I get from BAB is
"[JOBQUEUE]: Status changed from Active to Hold [Job No: 3] [Description: Differential / Full Backups of Images]"

No other messages are listed in the BAB log or the PC's Event log.

...Anyone?

Put the Job Engine in debug, and check for running applications that might prevent the image option from working.

Davidmichel,
OK, I put the job engine in debug, and got what I consider to be no help whatsoever. The backup job begins pretty normally, selects the backup media, and begins writing the job:
Writing BackupExtendedSessionHeader...
Wrote file header for extended session header. Stream data follows.
Writing drive capacity stream to tape...
Wrote stream header for drive capacity
Wrote drive capacity data to stream
Wrote padding to stream.
Done. Wrote drive capacity stream to tape.
Closing extended session header, no errors.
Wrote stream trailer for extended session header. Stream closed.
Wrote file trailer for extended session header.

There's a five minute gap (4 min. 54 sec), then the message:
[JOBQUEUE]: Status changed from Active to Hold [Job No: 3] [Description: Differential / Full Backups
of Images]

The last result reads "crashed" and the job status is changed to "hold."

There's no mention of any conflicting programs/applications/processes.

Do you have any other suggestions?

I just found the following on the CA website:
Q: The last result of the Backup Job states crashed.
When checking the TSKEPT logs in the BAB\Log folder , the cause of the Exception is - ASRBCKUP.DLL.

A: Stop all ARCserve Engines and rename the file ASRBCKUP.DLL which will be in the folder - C:\Program Files\CA\BrightStor ARCserve Backup Start all the services and run a backup and it will work fine.

I searched my system and found asrbckup.dll in a different folder (C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\BrightStor). I'll see if the file exists in the specified location tomorrow morning, and if it doesn't I'll try renaming this file and seeing what happens. Hey, it can only not work, right?

The FAQ solution from CA's website seems to have fixed the problem. I'm not sure what that DLL is, and why renaming it helped. A new file wasn't created.

I'll update if the problem comes back. Thanks for your feedback, davidmichel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back