Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scheduled Email

Status
Not open for further replies.

lo1384

Programmer
Aug 6, 2003
US
I’m coding a asp.net (c#) application. The major function of this application is “Scheduled Email”.
Every 10 minutes (configurable), server need execute exe file to retrieve data from Oracle DB, find out new customers (new Email receivers), then send Email to those people.

Question:
1. Do I need build a service object? Or I can use Windows Task Scheduler directly?
2. If I use Windows Task Scheduler (so, every 10 minutes, Task Scheduler will execute my exe file). Since user configures this interval parameter in front-end: how do I use C#, ASP.Net code to communicate with Task Scheduler?
3. Is there any reference on this issue? (book? Website?)

Thanks!

Lo1384

I used to have a program running in the background. I used threading and just made the thread sleep for 24 hours. I'm not sure if this is the most efficient way of doing it, but, at any rate, the task scheduler must be doing something very similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back