Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

scheduled DTS with oracle error

Status
Not open for further replies.

michelleHEC

Programmer
Oct 20, 2003
US
here is the error
Error string: Oracle client and networking components were not found. These components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle Version 7.3.3 or later client software installation. Provider is unable to function until these components are installed. Error source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle Help file: Help context: 0 Error Detail Records: Error: -2147467259 (80004005); Provider Error: 0 (0) Error string: Oracle client and networking components were not found. These components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle Version 7.3.3 or later client software installation. Provider is unable to function until these components are in... Process Exit Code 1. The step failed.

it will run when I execute the package but not the scheduled job... exasperated!
Michelle

The provider is installed on your local machine only but not on the SQL box
That's why it fails when you schedule it
Common problem with all kinds of things (Excel,MSXML etc etc etc)

“I sense many useless updates in you... Useless updates lead to defragmentation... Defragmentation leads to downtime...Downtime leads to suffering..Defragmentation is the path to the darkside.. DBCC INDEXDEFRAG and DBCC DBREINDEX are the force...May the force be with you" --

OK but I am a little confused. I made sure the driver was on the sql box and it still doesn't work and I don't know of anything else that I have on my local machine that is not on the sql box.
Michelle

Go to the console of the server and use the Oracle configuration tools to see if you have a name server configured.

then use the Oracle ODBC test application supplied to test if the connection is set correctly.

You can also set a ODBC data source and test the connection there.

If this is working then it may be something to do with the Microsoft driver. Change the DTS package to use the Oracle suplied OLEDB instead.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

the server is there etc...
but the package wouldn't work if the name server wasn't there, right? and I am doing the scheduling from the server and even rebuilt the package as the administrator in case that was the problem. and I am using the OLEDB in my DTS package!

Terminal Service into the machine try running your package now
Does it work? if it does you should have no problem

“I sense many useless updates in you... Useless updates lead to defragmentation... Defragmentation leads to downtime...Downtime leads to suffering..Defragmentation is the path to the darkside.. DBCC INDEXDEFRAG and DBCC DBREINDEX are the force...May the force be with you" --

it still isn't working. i must be missing something but what? running the package is ok, scheduling still isn't.

are you running the package directly on the server console?

If so then you have some type of permission problem with your SQL Server agent.

If not then DO RUN IT THERE before anything else. If it does not work then your setup is not correct.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

You should reboot the server after installing the Oracle client software.

Thank you for your response Frederico, and all of you who tried to help me. We did restart the server after installed the oracle client software but still have no luck in scheduling the dts. for right now, until I can figure out why it will not work, I am executing the dts every morning manually. Thank you again,
Sincerely
Michelle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back