Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scheduled DB Backup Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

katman96

Technical User
Jan 16, 2001
When I am looking at my database options through Enterprise Manager-All Tasks-Backup Database, is it "normal" that the "overwrite existing media" and the "schedule" selection boxes show up as unchecked when I previously checked them? My problem is that my scheduled backups are not working and I'm trying to figure out why.

In my simple mind, if I checked those boxes they should be checked if I look at them later.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

The backup database window shows settings for a backup that you want to perform now. It does not pull any previous settings.

How did you schedule the backup to run? (What did you do to schedule it?)

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

I "scheduled" it under: Enterprise Manager-All Tasks-Backup Database. At the bottom of the pane is a place where you can set it to perform a scheduled backup at some frequency. I picked every sunday at 2a.m. (or so I thought). I am not in front of the machine now so I can't give you the exact verbage. I can get the machine and give you more specifics if necessary. Thanks in advance....

Yeah, all that does is create a job in the SQL Agent.

In Enterprise Manager, open the Server > Management > SQL Agent > Jobs. The job or jobs will all be listed here. If there are a bunch of them delete all but one.

If you haven't enabled the agent you'll need to do so. The SQL Agent is not set to start automatically by default.

Once the agent is started the jobs will run automatically at the time they are scheduled for.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back