Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Schedule Word 2000 with AT command

Status
Not open for further replies.

teters

Technical User
Oct 4, 2002
US
I'm tyring to schedule a task using the AT command on a W2K machine. The task is to open Word 2000. I can go to a command prompt and type the path to the winword.exe and it works, but when I try to schedule it, it fails. Is there something special about the executable that won't allow it to run? Also, I have the Autoexec macro loaded into the Normal.dot so when Word does open it runs that macro. The macro opens two files changes page the layout and saves the files to another location and close them. With that said, is this the best way to do this or is there another way that I can accomplish the same task? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.
teters

Teters,

It would be better to run Word using Scheduled Tasks.

You can find it in Accessories>System Tools

Ian

Did you make sure to include the /interactive switch? I just tried it and it works fine. I used this:

at <time> /interactive <full path to WINWORD.EXE>

Thanks Serbtastic that part worked. Now I can't get the macro to run when Word opens. I have a macro, Autoexec, that runs if you click on the Word shortcut, but does not run when you run Word from the AT. According to Microsoft any macro starting with &quot;Auto&quot; will automatically run when Word is opened. But that's not the case when you run Word from the command line. Is it a permissions problem or does the AT command run it as a different user? This whole things need to be completely automated and ran once a week. Any other suggestions? If there's a better way to do this, I'm all for it.

Teters,

On my machine, AT runs as &quot;System&quot;. With Scheduled Tasks you can pick the user / password that you want to use. I just tested Word with an AutoExec macro and it works fine.

Ian

mapleleaf,

I finally got it to work. Thanks for all the information. Instead of making a direct link to the winword.exe, I went through the scheduler and made the scheduler point to the ...Word.lnk pointer. If I pointed directly at winword.exe, Normal.dot was not loading. By pointing to the link for Word, it loads the Normal.dot template thus letting the Autoexec macro execute. So far no problems in doing this, I'm still testing...

Thanks for your input. [smile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back