Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Schedule a Task that will archive event log 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmiley

MIS
Apr 11, 2003
US
Is there anyway to use Windows task Scheduler to schedule a taks that will save an event log (specifically the Security Log) and then clear the log? If so does, anyone know how I could do it?

You can select to backup C:\WINDOWS\System32\config\SecEvent.Evt and then erase the file

There are some good third-party tools for this task; e.g.
To do it yourself:

1. Make a directory for the backup files (I will use C:\BACKUP.EVT in this example).

2. Download and extract KiXtart from
3. Create the Kix script with notepad in your new backup.evt directory. Name it Event_Backup.kix

; Do the backup of Security log
$RCODE = BackUpEventLog("Security", "C:\BACKUP.EVT")
If @ERROR <> 0
? "Error backup up Security Log."
Endif

; Now clear the existing security log
$RCODE = ClearEventLog("Security")
If @ERROR <> 0
? "Error Clearing Security Log."
Endif

4. To run the script:

Start, Run, kix32

2. Using a REXX script:

Thank you bcastner...this is exactly what I've been searching for. I found the third party tools you mentioned along with a couple others, but I was really wanting to script it myself.

Thanks for the link to the REXX script!

Bcastner..I'm sorry to bother you again, but is there any chance you can explain the kix script you showed above. Once it is created in a notepad file, does it need to be renamed with the .kix file extension or can it stay as a .txt?

Also I tried running the script (as a .txt using kix32 driveletter:\path\filename) and I received the following error message:

Script error : expected expression !.

Am I doing something wrong?

Sorry just re-read your post...it needs to be named Backup_Event.kix so that answers one of my questions, but I still get the error message:

Script error : expected expression !.

1. sorry, this line was truncated in my original response:
To run the script:

Start, Run, kix32
Should read: Start, Run, kix32 Event_Backup.kix

2. Lets make the pathing clearer:

; Do the backup of Security log
$RCODE = BackUpEventLog("Security", "C:\BACKUP.EVT\Seclog.evt")
If @ERROR <> 0
? "Error backup up Security Log."
Endif

; Now clear the existing security log
$RCODE = ClearEventLog("Security")
If @ERROR <> 0
? "Error Clearing Security Log."
Endif

Other notes:

. Remember to use the RunAs facility of scheduled tasks to schedule the job as the local Administrator.

. You can use UNC names and create event logs on remote computers as well. Create a folder on each machine with the same name, e.g. BACKUP.EVT and use UNC naming. (You would need administrative privileges on each machine, or Domain Admin rights):

backupeventlog("\\Server1\system", "c:\BACKUP.EVT\syslog.evt")
BackupEventlog(“\\PDC\Security” , “C:\BACKUP.EVT\seclog.evt”)

A peculiarity is that the event log is always written to the machine that owns the event log.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back