Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCCM 2007 R2 VHD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

timeiu2009

Technical User
Mar 2, 2009
US
Hello,
I'm completely new to SCCM... Downloaded the Virtual machine (VHD) microsoft offers for download to do a trial. So, I downloaded the VHD, started it up with MS Virtual Server, and everything works great. Only problem is... I don't know how to use it to test any PC's. I'd like to add a small number (maybe 10 or so) PC's to test, but I'm not sure how. The VHD comes with SCCM and SQL already configured on Server 2003. The server is also configured as a domain controller. Will the server need to be on our domain if I want to test PC's on our domain?

No, you need to connect the test machines to that domain.

If you want to evaluate the product on your own environment then you would need to download both and
This is the SP1 release of SCCM and then the R2 pack for it.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Ok, thanks. I got everything installed and configured, but now I have another issue. I can see clients in the "all systems" area, but when I try to install the client, it never installs. Any ideas on what to check? Thanks!

A little more info... in the ccm.log, I'm seeing the following error:

ERROR: Failed to connect to the \\PCNAME\admin$ share using account 'Machine Account' $$<SMS_CLIENT_CONFIG_MANAGER><Sat Mar 21 14:23:34.576 2009 Central Daylight Time><thread=3928 (0xF58)>

I can post more log details if needed.

Have you configured a Computer Client Agent account? essentially you need to configure an account that would have local admin rights on the machine.

Simon

My bad, it's actually the Client Push Account in the Client Distribution Methods tab (Client Push\Accounts tab), it needs to be an account that also has local admin rights on the machine.

Simon

Ok, yes, I do have an account with local admin rights in there. The weird thing is... when I select 'install client' in SCCM, it puts the ccmsetup folder on my PC, but in SCCM, it shows the client as not installed, and I can't view any information about my PC. Also, if I try to connect via the site code, it errors out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back