Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scary Copyright Bill 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
>With requard to the Tivo popup ads, is any ad revenue going back to the TV Show, or is it all going to Tivo?

I suspect Tivo already got paid.

Oh for god sakes don't give them any ideas. Or the next time you go to make a phone call, after you dial, but before you call is connected you'll be subjected to an ad.
Sorry, you already get this when you use pre-paid phone cards.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin/Central Florida feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.
TTinChicago
Johnson Computers
[xmastree]

I'm going to stick with my VCR until it breaks down.
And I'm going to go and buy two, in reserve, just in case. Its not like VCRs are expensive nowadays.

I am not that addicted to TV that I absolutely have to see every minute of a show I am watching. If I have to relieve myself before the ads, so be it. If I really want to see the show, I can always record it on VCR in order to replay whatever portion I missed. And that means I'll be fast-forwarding the ads (without billboards), illegal or not.

By the way, if not watching commercials is becoming illegal, does that mean that watching TV is becoming mandatory ?

If TV is going to become a nuisance in life, I say chuck it out the window and go dancing. Or fishing. Or something. Life does not depend on what the boob tube is beaming our way (but it is good to be vigilant about it).

Pascal.

At least they aren't forcing upgrades to HDTV yet.

I don't think the anyone is trying to say that you must watch the commercials. All the legislations states is that if you make a copy of a program, then you must also copy the embedded commercials. It says nothing about having to watch them.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

If I only copy the commercials, will I be breaking any laws? [bigglasses]

They could accelerate adoption if cheap HDTV sets started to become readily available.

Most people don't want to spend more than the US$100 to US$300 price range for a TV set, or for that matter spend the space on a large-screen set. This naturally means smaller screens. For example, would a unit with a screen height comparable to an older 22" set do the trick?

Of course the expensive picture tube, even at such a small size, makes it hard to fall into the under $300 range. I guess the "killer" in this market is that they seem to want to sell only LCD units in the small sizes.

That's not law, it's a plan of action from an advisory commission to the FCC.
It does specifically state that analog transmissions will only ceise once at least 85% of all televisions in the market are digital (paragraph 27) or at the discretion of the broadcaster (who have no interest in stopping analog transmission if there's still money in that market).

Cable providers here in the Netherlands are pushing hard for people to buy into their digital plans as well.
Luckily they're required by law to continue transmission of a set of channels (which channels those are is determined by an oversight committee, not the cable provider to prevent them from removing all but a few shopping channels to their subscription services).
As it is, those digital services are mainly a hoax. A few extra channels (mainly pay per view, go figure) and that's it. But you do pay twice the price of the normal package.
Regularly cable providers will try to force people to buy into it though by turning off the most interesting channels on analog broadcast for a while. When people complain there's always an excuse of hardware failure or atmospheric disturbance (yet on the digital system those same programs run unimpeded...).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back