Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scanning into excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugco

Technical User
Jul 28, 2003
US
Hey!!

I just recieved a new PPT2800 and need help scanning. I have an Excel file with a list of plant varieties. I bring the file into Labelview software and print barcodes(code 128) on vinyl tags which then go on the plants. I need to scan the barcode and just have the variety show up in a pocket excel file(simple inventory). I'm not a programmer and don't have a clue how to even enable the scanner to scan. I've been reading relevant threads, but not enough info to understand. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!!!

The unit will require a program. It runs Windows CE.
That is one problem with most PDA scanners, they don't have anything but a DEMO program and require you to be a real good programmer to make a program and also program something to upload the data to the PC.

Contact BarcodeONE dposton@barcodeone.com
for a custom program if you want one.

DougP, MCP

Hello everyone,
I was interested in all of your barcoding questions and interest. As it so happens, I happen to be the webmaster for a company called Jadak Technologies. We specialize in auto-id (barcode), oem (scan engines, etc.), and engineering services. We are based in Liverpool, NY however we have many international contracts. Feel free to contact me @ 315-701-0678.
We offer from the ground up custom software engineering and hardware engineering services as well. Our solutions are very prominent in inventory control systems and that nature, but can accommodate to any need you may have. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

William Carinci
Webmaster/Application Support Engineer
Jadak Technologies
225 Greenfield Parkway
Liverpool, NY 13088

Phone: 315-701-0678
Fax: 315-701-0679
email: bcarinci@jadaktech.com

Hi the best way and easiest way to get barcode information in to excel word etc etc is just to use a keyboard wedge scanner. This scanners plaugs into keyboard port and then you keyboard plugs into this. Then waht ever you scan is entered as though youve typed it.

You can find out more or contact our sales at
hope that helps

Morloc

I could use more information following the thread at the bottom about :::use a keyboard wedge scanner to import to excel::

I’m using this method to collect data into excel. The data collected populates to Column A only. I want to scan the following items each into its own column without having to hit TAB.
A) Name
B) System
C) Good/Bad
And so on.
Is there anyway to scan to different columns without having to re-program the wedge scanner?
Maybe a data verification formula in excel that will accomplish this?

Thanks for your time.
Jason Riddle

You could try switching the default option in Excel from moving down 1 cell on a CR/LF (Enter) to moving to the cell to the right. Menu bar - Tools, Options, Edit. "Move selection after enter" Swith drop down box from down to right. Most scanners come with the CR/LF allready programmed. While the scanner will now automatically switch columns, you will still have to switch to the next record.
Another way to achieve this result would be to program the scanner to send the command you want as a suffix to every scan. Also, if you use code 128 or full ASCII code 39, you coud actually embed keyboard commands directly into the barcodes.

Good Luck,
Mark

I like the idea of embedding the commands into the barcode. When I’m putting the data I would have to manually switch rows up to 400 times a day.

I'll try your suggestion and post if the method was a success.

Thanks,
Jason Riddle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back