Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scanning - can you scan from a Citrix Client?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostexchange

Technical User
Jun 6, 2002
GB
Hi Can anyone let me know if it is possible to use a scanner attached to either a winterm or a ts client on Citrix?

Hi,

I'd be suprised if you could!

Cheers,
Carl.

Hello, I am not saying this can't be done but I put quite a bit of effort trying to get this to work with clients who use strobe pro paperport scanners. no dice :(
i ended up creating a caching server at the client site (wan site) with a scanner hooked up to it, of course this ment customization of the prog too
well either way good luck and if you get it to work please let us all know
jdl

It´s possible if your scanner has a parallel or a serial port

IF your scanner can be shared on a network (many HP's can), then share it and install it as a device that is available from your Citrix Server (as a shared network scanner). With HP, this typically requires installing their scanning software on the server as well.

Good luck!

One last comment:

This is obvious, but basically the recommendation I offered does not treat the scanner as a MAPPED device through Citrix, and is really only feasible (due to scanned file sizes) on LAN's.

I have used a network scanner device called ScanShare Pro that works very good. It's software also supports Citrix Metaframe.
Hope this helps. I had really good results with this device using fujitsu and canon scanners. It supports lots of other scanners though. The only downside is the scanner must use scsi.

Kalfred,

I'm also trying to get ScanShare to work with my Citrix farm.

Did you have to make the registry changes that Netcore instructs you to? I'm having a hard time finding the registry entries for my application because my Citrix server is a seperate machine than my database/application server.

I'm open to making the changes, but since it's a little complicated I'm looking for a solution that might be able to get me around having to change the registry.

Not too many people are using ScanShare yet, so it's hard to find specific info. Any information you could provide is appreciated.

heresahandle,

Sorry about the delay. I don't normally monitor this site. It's been awhile since I messed with one of these devices. I no longer work for this company anymore but I don't seem to recall having to make any registry modifications. We installed the scanschare pro software and the software for the scanner and that was it. We had to configure users and all but I don't remember making any registry changes. Sorry I'm not more help, but maybe you've got some bad info.

KAlfred,

I understand what you mean. The reason we had to make registry changes is because our proprietary software has a built-in scanning function that acts independently of Micrsoft's registry settings that would allow Citrix-scanning. If I were scanning using Photoshop or MS imaging, it would have been fine.

It's not a matter of bad info, but rather insufficient compatibility on our software's programmer's part. Basically, our software allows you to link PDF files directly to our files so I can scan them locally as PDF's, then manually copy them through citrix to our server and associate them with our files.

You're probably the only other person on here that has actually used ScanShare. It's a good idea & product, but it's just incompatible with our needs.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Our company found a software solution called Remotescan that was well reviewed in EDN magazine (here is the link to the article: ). Turns out it works fine for Terminal Services and Citrix. We have it installed on our farm and have had no problems whatsoever. It allows us to let people use the scanners that are directly attached to their thin clients and PC's, while running application software from the farm. We had tried hardware solutions with no luck, but the Remotescan product works fine and also has a lot of network and security configuration options. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back