Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scanner Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mel66

Technical User
Dec 22, 2001
GB
I have a Mustek ScanExpress 6000P scanner which has given faithful service for the last four years. It's not exactly supercharged but does the job. I have just bought a new computer, running WindowsXP (Home) and, guess what, the scanner will not work.
I've input the program from the CD Rom, everything appears, apart from the scanner desktop, but nothing works, although I can access the scanner via the PhotoExpress program to scan photo's. I can't access the separate scanner desktop, and as I send a lot of e-mails, do OCR work and send faxes from the scanner this is a disaster. You can't do these via the PhotoExpress main program.
The first thing I did was download updated drivers from the Mustek WebSite, but have been unable to get the second part, Disk 2, to install. This has to be on a floppy for XP to recognise as it's a "w02" program. Without this, Disk 1 will not install and I have to abort the whole installation.
I've contacted Mustek and they have offered advice but this doesn't work either. I've also looked at the FAQ's on their site, but they don't help either.
Has anyone got any ideas please, other than buy a new XP compatible scanner or get the axe in? Thanks

Howdy:

Mustek Scanmagic 4800P here.. When it asks for the 2nd disk, point it to the W02 file.

Worked for me..

Murray

Hi Murray
Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure what you mean "point it to the w02 file"?
I've actually downloaded and saved the upgrades, 'Part 1' to a CD Rom and 'Part 2' to a floppy.
When 'Part' 1 has installed I get the message "Please insert floppy and press OK", or words to that effect. This means changing the details box to A:\....., and then comes the problem. I'm not really sure what to put after A:\.....? Whatever I put it says something like "Cannot find the path, please insert correct path". So I try again, but NO GO!! Is this what you mean by "point towards".
What you say seems to be the answer but I don't understand what you mean. Sorry to appear thick!!
Incidentally, I loaded up the Win98 software Scanner on a new NoteBook - Toshiba Satellite - to see what happens, and it runs with no problems, and without the XP upgrade. Why? Crazy computers!!
Would appreciate further advice please. Thanks for your help.
Mel

Howdy:

Once it goes to a:, browse the floppy for the W02 file..

Murray

Hi Murray
Thanks for your latest help.
Have tried this, but no luck. Looks like the axe, unless you have any further ideas?
Mel

try copying both disks to the same hard disk directory - make a folder for one called "disk1" and the other "disk2". Then install from the hard disk. Since the path will be the same for both the installation routing will probably work.

Hi Burt G
Thanks for your help.Have tried this, still no joy.
As I said before, the scanner and the original drivers are working OK on the Laptop. It's just on the Dell 4500 that the problems persist.
I don't really know what to try next. Guess I may have to make the best of things ang use the Laptop when I need to Scan, unless you or anyone has any more bright ideas?
Thanks again.
Mel66

I have a Mustek 600 III Plus Flatbed Scanner and the #1 disk went bad and even with a floppy repair program repairing it to 99.4% it still will not work to completion. I have downloaded all the newest drivers, but all I get is an error saying the scanner is not connected. I unloaded all twains and twunks and unhooked scanner, loaded new drivers, restarted after rehooking scanner and still the same. The only thing different (and I cannot find any trouble shooting helps on it) is I have used Commander Partition. Is there a possibility of this causing a conflict? Many things take time as I have found out since working with PC from the early 70's, but this one has me buggered or so it seems. Prior to problem loading, operation required two floopies and a CD. Is this a required necessity as I can still find the twain on the CD and the Iphoto program and load, but again, no luck. I'm stymied at the moment, any help will appreciated if someone has had similar or like problems and solved? Thanks!

Re download the software.
I've downloaded files that were corrupt many times.
Sometimes they don't appear corrupt but are.
I also have had many problems with saving files with IE at certain sites. Try a different browser and check file sizes to see if complete (remember there is one size but two different numbers, MB and bytes, be sure you compare apples to apples

thalteman...I too have a Mustek 600 III EP Plus Flatbed scanner (actually it's my fiances' but he wasn't using it so I'm "borrowing" it ). I got the software installation CD that came with the scanner but it is for Win '95, '98 or NT. I have Win 2000. So I went online and downloaded a supposed Win 2000 driver and installed it. Everything appears okay until I open Imaging or IPhoto. It cannot see the scanner.

I noticed, right before the installation started, that it says you should change the parallel port to EPP in the BIOS but guess what? The only options I have in my BIOS are ECP, PS/2 and Normal. So I'm thinking that either that is where the conflict is or the parallel scanners just don't like the supposed more advanced/better operating systems.

I'm wondering if I get a parallel to USB adapter if that will work. Think I'll give it a try. I'll let y'all know what happens either way.

If anyone else has any other solutions or advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jessica Morgan
Fire Fighter Sales & Service Co.
Pittsburgh, PA

To all parallel port scanner owners:

If you are running XP or in some cases 2000, don't bother trying to get your scanners to work as they did on your previous version of Windows.

Microsoft no longer supports connecting parallel port devices other than printers. They would like to stop that too. Parallel ports are legacy technology. Most scanner manufacturers don't do a whole lot of porting old scanners to new OS's. If something works, you got lucky. If it's buggy, live with it or buy new scanning software (silverfast) or a new scanner.

The reason some of you can get the scanners to work sometimes in XP/2K is because the application you are using connects to the scanner without TWAIN.

Michael

I AM RUNNING WINDOWS XP AFTER UNINSTALLING 98SE
I UNINSTALLED CANON LIDE 20 SCANNER AND RE INSTALLED ON XP
PROBLEM IS MY LEXMARK Z13 PRINTER WILL NOT PRINT SCANNED DOCUMENTS
MESSAGE FROM SCANNER CANNOT FIND PRINTER

STUART

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back