Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scanner Problem with Windows 98 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronmon

IS-IT--Management
Feb 25, 2002
IE
Hows it going

I recently installed Windows XP on a partition in my system and had it set to dual boot with 98. All this went fine and all my hardware worked fine in Xp but whenever i tested my Scanjet 6200C Scanner in 98 I kept getting an error message Scanner cannot be initialized (Parameter Error) or There has been an error communicating with your scanner.

I have tried to re-install the drivers and software but to know avail. I have heard somewhere that Xp can change the NVRAM on this type of scanner and that might cause a problem in 98 is this true and if so does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it

Thanks

In Win 98, uninstall the scanner's software and remove it from Device Manager, restart, and reinstall the software.
See if that helps.

Ya i have tried that already no luck

Greetings Ronmon,

2 questions first: Are you still having this problem? and if so, is there a HP printer installed and/or connected to this PC? If the answers are both 'Yes' I will post the solution for you. If you've already fixed it, never mind :)

Regards,
Steve

You can also try deleting all the files beginning with "twain" or "twunk" in the WINDOWS folder (and all sub-folders) before reinstalling the scanner drivers. Also remove all references under the [TWAIN] header in WIN.INI.

Sorry for the delay

Yes there is a Hp deskjet 895 cxi connected to the computer. For now i have installed Xp on my machine on its own and this has seemed to solve the problem but if you could supply your solution i would really appreciate it

Thanks again

In Win 98 search for HPFCFG*.EXE The actual name of the file will include a numeric value after the "HPFCFG" part but prior to the ".EXE" i.e. HPFCFG17.EXE When you locate it double-click it and answer yes to the dialog box that comes up. Then in the list locate the following options; Bi-directional Communication and Print-cartridge Query. Take the check-marks out of both of these boxes then click OK. You'll be prompted to restart. Do it. When you re-boot, communication will now be possible with both devices. Even though these settings are applicable to the parallel interface and even if you are using USB interface on one or both devices, the settings you just disabled screw up communications to all other HP devices onboard. Hope this helps..

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back