Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scanner Light Stays On

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrtoledo

Technical User
Aug 22, 2002
US
I have a Microtek ScanMaker scanner. The scanner is using the latest drivers and software from Microtek, and the machine is current on all of it's MS patches.

My problem is the scanner light doesn't always shut off all of the time. I have configred the light to turn off after a few minutes, but about 80 precent of the time it says on.

I contacted Mirotek and there response was that they are aware of this being problem that people were having, were unable to duplicate it in their lab so they could do nothing about it.

They also said it would not damage the scanner, however it will shorten the life of the bulb. (Kind of like leaving your car running all night).

I had the same problem with an HP scanner. I finally just unplugged the power cord when I wasn't using the scanner.

Jim

Why unplug it? Doesn't it have a power switch in the back? Just switch off the power, but wait until the computer shuts down before you do it. My system won't shut down if the scanner is turned off before XP Pro shuts down. The scanner can be powered up as needed (firewire or USB under XP Pro).

I have two scanners (different brands) and neither one has a power switch. I used to keep the HP on a power strip and turn the power strip switch off & on.

Jim

Power switch or not, there has to be a better solution. Most of these scanners has power saving settings in their software that is supposed to turn the lamp off.

If Microtech doesn't have a solution then neither do we--other than unplugging it.

Jim

Some manufactures of computers (such a dell) send out requests to various componants on the computer, including USB devices, sort of like keep alive. I know in the case of Dell, there computer would send a request out to various printers causing them to print off 2-3 pages of garbage whenever the computer was turned on or shut down. This "usually" was resolved by diabling USB emulation in the BIOS.

oddduck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back