Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scanner detection by Admin BUT NOT Power User

Status
Not open for further replies.

alunw

Technical User
Sep 7, 2001
GB

Hi, installed the USB Epson Perfection 1250 scanner as Administrator absolutely fine in Win2k, and can scan fine as Admin.

However, as a day to day Power User in Win2k, the scanner isn't detected. What's going on? Don't get it, I can't find a setting to enable scanner support for different users or anything like that - the Scanner comes up in the Scanner and Cameras list, but as Unavailable. Any help much appreciated, till then I scan as Administrator!
I've reinstalled the Twain 5 drivers, and the scanner many times to see, even in different USB ports, and via a USB hub. But since it works with Admin, it can't be a hardware issue.

Have you tried giving full control permissions to manage printers for that user?
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

thanks pbxman, well I had a look at printer permissions, and the user has full permission to control the printers. In fact the only printer on the system is on another box on the network anyway.
Still same problem :-(
Incidentally I have a USB zip drive on the same USB hub which is detected fine by all users with no probs. alun ward
eye division

I have the same problem with a mustek USB scanner under Windows 2000 professional.
Have installed W2K onto FAT32 to discount the NTFS security.
Have installed SP1 and SP2 - same issue.
I want users to be able to access the scanner - not just administrators.

I had a problem with an Epson USB 1240 scanner. It always worked fine for admins, but not users. I finally decided it was because the scanner going to sleep and being detected as an "unknown device" during startup. I would see that in the Device Manager under USB devices. Epson did not have any solution for the problem and the tech support said that was not a common problem. But, it happened over and over.

The scanner doesn't have a power button, so I put the scanner on its own power strip. I told the user to turn the power off when they aren't using the scanner and while they boot up the computer. Then, turn the power bar on and the scanner comes on and is correctly detected.

Maybe this might work for you.

If the user has never used the scanner, then its possible that their permissions are not allowing them to "install programs" which could stop auto detection...To make sure it is a permissions problem, try adding a user or two whose machine this is happening on to the Admin group....it is possible that a small period of time of allowing Admin rights for the users, might allow first time detection and installation.

Hope this Helps!

Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back