Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scanjet 4100C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pamelas

Technical User
Nov 11, 2001
AU
I hope this question hasn't already been asked - I did do a search and couldn't find any other references.

I have an HP Scanjet 4100C that isn't compatible with XP. I downloaded the patch from HP but it comes up with a fatal error on unzipping. I've downloaded the patch 3 times, in case it became corrupted during previous downloads but this hasn't helped.

I haven't been able to load any of the install software onto my new pc as I immediately get the incompatability message when the disk starts up.

Am I doomed to buying a new scanner or is there a patch out there that actually works?

Thanks all.

Pxx

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/software/sj653mu.exe

If this is the driver you need it downloads fine for me and unzipped fine as well.

thanks for that. I've downloaded it from another computer, put it on a floppy and will hope for the best.

:)

Pamela.

I have a Scanjet 5100C. I went to the HP website and they explicitly say that the HP Precision Scan software is not compatible with XP unless yuou've upgraded from 98 and then applied the patch.

I had the same problem as you and nearly lost XP altogether. It's really up to HP if they decide to write software for the scanner to run on XP.

*sigh* HP isn't a subsidiary of the Microsoft conglomerate, is it? I've already had to buy Norten's AV 2002 because, apparently, 2001 doesn't work with XP.

thanks for the help, guys.

Pamela

Hi, Pamela. I have an HP Scanjet 4100C also...I also have another one (a OneTouch 8700 USB by Visioneer). HP told me to use the drivers for Windows 200 for the 4100 C. I called their tech support and the girl was very helpful. I have not used it yet. HOWEVER the driver that comes with XP should allow you to use the scanner with limited features. If you have a program such as Paint Shop Pro I would use the driver from XP and then go to PSP and scan FROM PSP instead of sending it TO PSP. Hope this helps. :) wanda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back