Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

scanemal.dll 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FToth

Technical User
Oct 8, 2002
NL
Hello all,

I had a problem with the AVSyncMgr that wouldn't run, and consequently VirusScan dind't run. So uninstalled and installed, call McAfee, and uninstalled and installed. Etc.

Then I followed Oliver Again's instruction (made the AVSyncMgr service run as Administrator), which solved that problem. However one problem remains (I have 5.21):

Outlook2000 complains that it can not find or run scanemal.dll. This happens when I login as another user then administrator. Logging in as administrator all works fine. Tried reinstalling again etc. Elevating user rights to the admin group does not solve the problem, so it does not seem related to permissions.

In the registry I can only find 1 reference to scanemal.dll, in the local machine section. Nothing specific for user Administrator or the other users.

What can it be?

Ferry

Hi Ferry,

your problem is caused by installing VirusScan to a different directory than a previous installation.

There's a thread at NAIs knowledge base:

1. Close Outlook if it is currently open.
2. Search for the file EXTEND.DAT on the computer and delete it.
3. Reopen Outlook.

Outlook uses EXTEND.DAT as a cache for paths to add-ins and extensions. By deleting EXTEND.DAT, Outlook is forced to look in the registry for the correct path to the SCANEMAL.DLL file. When Outlook does not find an existing EXTEND.DAT file it recreates it from the settings listed in the registry.

If the error persists after Outlook recreates the EXTEND.DAT file, then check the 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Extensions' registry key for the ·Exchange Scan· value and insure the file path to the SCANEMAL.DLL file is the correct path to the actual SCANEMAL.DLL file.

SteelBurner

Steelburner,

3 remarks:

1) The extend.dat problem is also mentioned at the MS kwnoledge base, in relation to another Outlook extensions. However, this is only for Outlook97, not for Outlook2000. I don't have an extend.dat file on my system.
2) When I log on as administrator all works fine.
3) The registry entry you mention points to the correct path

So, there must be a 4th possibility, one that I overlooked until now.

Ferry

Ferry,

you are right with the MS knowledge base. extend.dat is the cache for paths to add-ins and extensions, not only for NAI software.
When you log on as administrator and search your complete drive for a file extend.dat did you find anything?
I sometimes have this problem with Outlook 2000 on some customer installations and solved it this way.

SteelBurner

Steelburner,

Sorry, you are right, extend.dat files are in hidden directories d:\documentes and settings\user\local settings\etc. Even file search only shows them after enabling show hidden files.

I tried deleting them, and saw the newly created one appear after starting Outlook again.

However, the result is the same, the error does not disappear.

I tried changing the path in the registry (pointing to scanemail) to DOS8.3 format. Same result, log on as administrator, all works fine, log on as user, error.

I think it must be related to the AVSynch service that I now run as Administrator instead of System. I tried running this service as another member of the admin group, but it won't, and neither as another user.

I installed as administrator, so appearently it some permission that only creator/owner is allowed. But I can't find anything in the registry that only gives permission to creator/owner.

Ferry

Ferry,

this is what my registry entry looks like:
4.0;C:\Programs\Network Associates\VirusScan\scanemal.dll;1;11000000000000;1110000;

Permissions on that key are set to READ for creator/owner, user and FULL ACCESS for administrator and system.

You might use regedt32 to change permissions.

Did you tried to uninstall the product, remove the extend.dat, remove the registry key, restart machine and new install McAfee?

SteelBurner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back