Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scandisk runs every time I restart the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortalkind

Technical User
Jun 9, 2002
US
I recently did a clean install of Win98SE on my dads computer. It is a HP and he didn't want all the extra junk HP puts in Win98 so he got a Full Win98SE Microsoft CD. I formated the HD and installed Win98SE. Then installed the device drivers from the HP recovery disk. Now every time I reboot the system. I get a blue screen saying that their may be problems with your hard drive and then scandisk runs. It never finds a problem though. I downloaded and installed fixes that refered to this problem from Microsoft. Nothing helped.

Has anyone every run into this problem? Oh by the way, yes I am shuting the system down normally and not just turning it off. LOL

You might want to try the rundll from a shutdown icon on the desktop to see if it bypasses whatever isn't getting cleaned up on the normal shutdown.
See the FAQ for 98SE shutdown problems. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Hello Mortalkind:

I'm assuming that you deleted the original partition on the drive.

I installed W98SE Full Retail Box on an old HP 8390. I got scandisk sometimes like you're getting when I used the recovery disk device drivers. When I used drivers downloaded from the web, the problem stopped. It has been my experience that recovery disks are pretty much an all or nothing deal. If you're running the HP bundled software and the HP version of the operating system, selective recovery of files works. Otherwise, you can end up with a really quirky machine by mixing and matching HP and Microsoft.

I can bet money that the drivers on the CD aren't compatible.

I'd go with the downloading of new drivers first, but check for chipsets or extra drivers needed for the board if possible. I was about to smack the heck out of dell when I tried to do a reload - they told me I had to wipe everything out and re-do the reload and start with chipset drivers first.

Anywho, take the above comments on downloads... :) -= Beer is food! Is it suppertime? =-
If ya like the info on the posts - rate them helpful!

Assuming that you do all the downloading and configuring of the helpful stuff, the last thing you can do is check for possible damage/bad media surface scanning. Scandisk may see the part that is nearly damaged. ERA
era@nittsu.com.ph
era@digitelone.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back