Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scandisk/defrag fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeyTech

Programmer
Nov 14, 2000
KR
I have a client using a Win98 PIII with a fair amount of ram in it. The user is having no problems when working, but he is finding that the PC has slowed down a bit. This would be the fact that he has installed some versions of CAD and other apps on it. He went to do a scan disk (from the properties of C:\ and then Tools) and it stops after a couple of bars in the progress meter, it has even been left over night. The same happens for the defrag, but the defrag will get to about 10% and then go back to the start.

I did a scan disk from dos and a surface scan was run after it, and took about 4hrs.

Does anyone know what is the problem here..??? Jay~

My new Tae Kwon Do website is up and running!!

~KeyTech

It's probably not "failing" but resetting because some other apps are running and changing the contents of the files. (Look for a message on the defrag window indicating "disk contents changed, restarting...") Try running these utilities in safe mode and it should go all the way through.
Surface scans (although sometimes warranted) take an enormous amount of time, especially on large hard drives. I'm not surprised it took 4 hours if you have a large HD.

Try turning off File System Realtime Protection on his antivirus program. I know Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition version 7.5 continuously reads the files on the hard drive. I have had the same problem and this seemed to help.

If it does the same thing in Safe Mode, be sure to disable the screen saver as well. The timer for the screen saver actually makes changes to the disk as well and could cause it to restart.

" with a fair amount of RAM "

More than 320MB? Please see faq615-1336 Nate Gagne
nathan.gagne@verizon.net
AKA Nick Burns - Your Company's Computer Guy
"Would you like me to save your game of Minesweeper first?"

Like my post? Let me know it was helpful!

Thanks guys, got the client to run it in safe mode and went through no probs....think it was the VirusScan software that was causing the disk to be updated.
Thanks for the help all. Jay~

My new Tae Kwon Do website is up and running!!

~KeyTech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back