Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scandisk & Defrag keeps restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garland

Technical User
Jan 8, 2002
US
MS ME OS. When trying to run Scandisk or Defrag, both programs keep restarting. Error message states that some other program is talking to hard disk which causes the above utilities to restart. Tryed to find any programs running in background, no luck. Is this one of ME's notorious quirks or is there a simple cure? Appreciate any help.

Open task manager and see what's running. The most likely causes are your virus scanner and FindFast if MS Office is installed. You probably can 'end task' on everything except explorer and the system tray. Running scandisk and defrag from safemode will probably work also.

Scan Disk and Disk Defrag have to be run in the Safe Mode. That way there is nothing open to interfere.

>>Scan Disk and Disk Defrag have to be run in the Safe Mode

[blue]oldcomptrguy[/blue],
Perhaps it would be better to say:

Scan Disk and Disk Defrag have to should be be run in Safe Mode to troubleshoot restart problems

Properly maintained PC's have no problems running either app in Normal Mode.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Correct cdogg. However, most people do not run the defrag as often as they should and therefore it just does not complete without interuption. When run in the standard mode there are just to many things that interfere, especially if you have always on cable or DSL internet. Also, small things like Outlook Express checking the main (my wife has hers set to check mail every min) disrupts the process. I have just found it easier to do it from the Safe Mode and not have to worry about shutting down programs and disconnecting the internet etc.

Hopefully though Garland gets the idea and is able to properly maintain the comptr.

Good Luck.

Just making the point that it doesn't "have to" be run in safe mode to avoid confusing anyone. It's a preference and a workaround, not a requirement. Choice of words can be crucial to newbies that haven't a clue...

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back