Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

scan disk won't run after crash...

Status
Not open for further replies.

machoosh1

Technical User
Mar 28, 2003
CA
when i use to have a system crash and had to power off to restart, scandisk would start after reboot and run...now it doesn't...i have to do it manually in safe node...is there a way to get it run again automatically after a crash ?

Go to Start/Run, type msconfig, click OK, click the Advanced button, uncheck the box for 'Disable Scandisk after bad shutdown', click OK, and restart if prompted.

SKI, i checked that and the box is unchecked....any other ideas why it won't kick in when needed ?

Go to Start/Settings/Folder Options/View, check 'Show all files' under 'Hidden files, click OK, go to Start/Find/ Files or folders, type msdos.sys in the Named box, select your hard drive in the 'Look in' box, click 'Find Now', open the msdos.sys file and look for an entry under [Options] that says Autoscan=1.
If it has a 0, then replace the 0 with a 1.
If the entry is not there, then type it in.

SKI, i did that and under [Options] Autoscan=1 was there, any other ideas ?

Maybe I am being a pessimist of things to come, but:

backup ALL your work and/or documents (BTW CD is much better than many diskettes).

Omce done (and you have verified that the backup can be restored to another PC): format and re-install w89 and the applications and your work and/or documents from your backup CDs / Diskettes.

I am VERY happy to be corrected.

"Life is full of learning, and then there is wisdom"

Thx Ski, i'll try that. I never get the easy problems... oh well lifes a challenge and dammit i'm not backing down...thx again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back