Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scan Disk - Slow & Often

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirst4Knowledge2004

Technical User
Sep 11, 2003
US
I have a buddy who keeps getting the message, "one or more may have developed bad sectors on disk..." when he tries to shut down or restart. Then everytime he proceeds to start back up, it runs a scan disk; however, the next problem is that it's taking anywhere from 2 to 2 1/2 hours to run this scan disk. ANY tips and advice would be greatly appreciated as I will be driving up that way to take a first hand look. When offering feedback, please keep in mind that I am a novice. Thank you!

Bigger drives take longer to 'scan'. You have to let it complete or you may be missing the bad parts.

If it wants to run every time then either you're not letting it complete, or the disk is failing. If it's the latter make sure you have good back ups and get a new drive.

Make sure your buddy is using the shut down option from the Start menu. If Windows is not properly shut down you invite file corruption and you might get prompted to run scan disk on start up.

"The Key, The Whole Key, and Nothing But The Key, So Help Me Codd!"

I would recommend that he runs Scandisk in DOS mode to make sure everything is OK with the HD.

I agree, if you have any important data, back it up now. Then boot to safe mode and let run scan disk one more time, if it continues to happen, sounds like a drive about to go.

Matt J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back