Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scan Barcode into Access 2000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobBrooks

IS-IT--Management
Feb 10, 2003
US
I am trying to scan barcode labels into an Access 2000 form.
I need to have a "Tab" sent after each field has been filled by the scanned in data. There are 6 Fields to the record. I am not a programmer but I can follow instructions. Can any one help?

Use a keyboard-wedge scanner, and the data will be input as if it had been entered on the keyboard. You then just need to configure your scanner to append a tab character to the end of the scans. Check the documentation that came with your scanner or contact your vendor to find out how to do this.

Bob,
I use UPC-A barcodes and in the input mask of the textbox I scan into I use
000000000000;0;@
that way it moves to the next field or in my case the next UPC.
If your UPC's are different lengths, code39, code128 or code 2of5 then it will require, as you said a tab.
jim

Adding an "Enter" as the final command from the scanner (Symbol LS3070LR) solved this problem. My thanks to "KornGeek" for suggesting it.
To "xaf294" we use code 3 of 9 aka: code 39 for our font,
Thanks for the suggestion.
Bob

Could you tell me how you coded your appication to scan barecodes? Because I must do the same and I need Help.

It could be great if you can send me the source code.

Thanks.

If you use what is called a "keyboard wedge" scanner, then no special coding is required. The computer sees the input as if someone were typing really fast on the keyboard.

If you have a keyboard wedge scanner you do not have to code anything.

A keyboard wedge scanner plugs directly into your keyboard and all it does it emulate normal keypresses. Barcodes are simply a string of alpha-numeric characters.

So if you have a keyboard wedge scanner plugged in, and the focus on the screen is in a control that can receive text, such as a word document, or a field on a form, etc... then when you scan a barcode it will appear inside the control.

Note that you may or may not have to alter some settings of your scanner (see that particular manual), but most scanners, right out of the box, will be able to scan any barcode (like the one on a can of soda, or a software package) into notepad without setting up or coding anything!

Of course if you have a serial port scanner the above is all irrelevant, you will need to code something or use a program such as BC-Wedge to translate the serial data into simulated key presses...

I think it is not a keyboard wedge scanner.
In fact here is the pocket PC which include the barecode scanner:

My question is :
Is it possible to make a program with Microsoft embedded tools 3.0 (evc++) which activate the scanner and scan, then close the scanner.
I think the answer is "Yes" but I don't know what are the evc++ instructions to do that.

Thank you for your help.

Yes I created a program using Embedded VB for a Symbol PPT2700. You have to initiate the scanner then after it reads a barcode close it then initiate it again. DougP, MCP

Are you trying to get the database to scan using a connected PDT8100, or are you trying to create a portable data collection program that would exchange data with the database? I'm confused here.

I just try to scan a barecode and then send a request to the database to say he has been read.

I also saw some code made with Embedded VB but I can't understand this langage very much. Any One can give me information about an Embedded c++ program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back