Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scaling to fit to page when rendering to Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2003
NZ
I have reports that are rendered in Excel for a variety of users, then modified and printed.

Trouble is each time they open a new report they must manually set the scaling to print 1 page wide by blank deep.

Is there a way I can either pass this setting with the report when rendered, or set the Excel defaults to always be this way?

I asked on the Excel group and they suggested creating a book.xlt template, this works when I use the Excel application but doesn't work for reports rendered from Reporting Services.

Thanks

Bruce

The problem you have is in accessing the interface from RS to Excel. From there you can control certain items within excel but the page setup is specific to the worksheet within the workbook and can only be set once the workbook has been created. The template idea may work if you can get RS to open excel using the Template as the default workbook style

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Whilst i'm sure your organisation has it's reasons, i'm always baffled as to why anyone would want to create a report in Reporting Services, output it to Excel for modification and then use the Excel version.

Why not create the report, including the required alterations in Reporting Services and save someone the additional work...

Sorry, my 2p worth.

Cheers,
Leigh

"If you had one shot, one opportunity, to seize everything you ever wanted, in one moment, would you capture it, or let it slip?" - Eminem

Would tend to agree - if all that is being done is printing, why not just print from the RS interface ?

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

...baffled as to why anyone would want to create a report in Reporting Services, output it to Excel for modification and then use the Excel version"

Because the "customers" have used Excel for over ten years and change is scary?

--
Wes Groleau

but if all they are doing is printing, why can they not print from a web based presentation rather than excel ?

Rgds, Geoff

I agree with you all on the modifying reports in Excel thing.

Trouble is we are using Reporting Services to Generate statements to go to customers and sometimes the users need to add information in there that is not something we can source from a database.

The Business gets what the Business wants.

If they have to alter the excel file anyway, what is the issue with setting the page scaling manually ? or giving them a macro to do the job ? Either way, you don'ty want to automatically set ALL excel printing to that scale do you ?

Rgds, Geoff

I implemented this functionality (set the print options in the resulting excel worksheet) in a vb6 application that automates the process of exporting Crystal reports. You should be able to do the same with the excel object model (either a Macro or your own external code).

The key properties are "FitToPagesWide" and "FitToPagesTall"

Cheers,
- Ido

view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back