Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS2003 with exchange mail DNS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryUSA

MIS
Aug 20, 2002
US
I am setting up a new SBS2003 standard edition server for 10 users. I am also using the built in exchange.
I have 2 NIC cards. The internet is provided by roadrunner (cfl.rr.com) with a static IP. My web site is hosted by another company out of SaltLakeCity UT. They only provide 3 email accounts. Unable to change hosting companies I went through "Network Solutions" and got 50 more email accounts to use.
Here is my question. MY ISP (roadrunner) gives me a static IP and DNS numbers.
Also Network Solutions gave me DNS addresses.
How do I go about setting up the exchange to get my email from network solutions? do I just make an MX record for the DNS from Network solutions and my static IP? or use roadrunners DNS?
I called network solutions but they could not help me. Where do I go to make an MXRecord?
through roadrunner??
Also if I use the pop3 connector to also pull my cfl.rr.com mail will that be a problem with DNS pointing to network solutions?
ANy help would be greatly appreciated
Jerry

Http:\\"It's the 21st Century I was promised a flying car! Where is my flying car?"
[afro]

Can you expand a bit when you say "went through Network Solutions and got 50 more email accounts to use"...

Do you have a domain name registered? If so you should be able to edit the DNS zone file via your domain name registrar (company you registered the domain through / if the domain is on their nameservers). You would then add an MX record pointing to your static IP. Is the static IP attached to one of your NIC cards or are you going through a router?

If you configure the Exchange POP connector, all this will do is connect to pop accounts that you specify and distribute localy to the user accounts that you configure..... DNS wise, am I correct in thinking that your various providers have given you DNS Server addresses? You will more that likely use these as forwarders on you SBS DNS Server. Local resolution will be handled via your SBS box, anything else like internet resources will be handled by these external DNS servers that you specify as forwarders.

Nell1

The hosting company for the web site only provides 3 e-mail accounts if you want more they charge something like $10 per month per mailbox. If I move the web site to another hosting company like (network Solutions) they will not let me have my web site. They are keeping it hostage. They will not allow FTP to pull the site down. They tell me if I leave the web site we have to be rebuilt from scratch. SOOO I went through Network Solutions and bought 50 or 100 emails from them for like $5 per month. But they dont offer support for exchange server.
the problem/question I have is I have 3 Different DNS addresses to go by, which one should I use? The hosting web site DNS the Hosting email DNS or my ISP's DNS.
Just now I checked an MXrecord look-up site and typed in the company.com info and a MXRecord exists. 2 weeks ago nothing was there and yesterday when I called network solutions they said they dont do mxrecords? I guess I just use that one???
Jerry

Http:\\"It's the 21st Century I was promised a flying car! Where is my flying car?"
[afro]

why do you want to use exchange? do you want to use the outlook web? If you are going to send emails out though exchnage you will also have to set your Reverse DNS on your IP to point to your domain. AOL, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc will not except emails from your domain otherwise.

If they are hosting your website hostaged. don't use their email get a new domain and point the MX records to your static IP and then get a cheap hosting company to hold the www. records. with a redirect to the real site???

Just an idea.

I happen to like exchange... it's easy to setup and onces its running I had very little problems.

Good luck

John

JerryUSA,

I think you may have gotten sidetracked here by the limitations of your first hosting company.

You don't need the 3 addresses from them or the 50 you got from network solutions. Your Exchange server will handle it all for you.

Leave your clients configured the way they are, connecting to the pop accounts and have them pull down any new mail to clear that off before you canel those accounts.

Edit your public DNS records which it sounds like is on RoadRunner. You want to create an A record and MX record for your SBS Server. Point them to your public IP Address. We typically configure a record for mail.domainname.com. Create the RDNS entry as well so your mail can get through to AOL, Yahoo etc as was mentioned in a post above.

When mail is sent to your domain it will then be delivered directly to your server and not pass through the ISP POP mail system.

You will want to re-run the "Connect to the Internet" Wizard found on the SBS Servers To Do list. When it asks for the ISP DNS use the ones for RoadRunner if they are the ones providing you with an Internet connection.

The main point for you to take away here is that just because your web site comes with some free POP accounts does not mean you need to use them or that your stuck with mail having to go through them.

I do want to point out that you say you purchased 50 addresses but have also mentioned that you are running SBS with 10 user cals. You can set up as many aliases as you want for a user, but you will only be able to make 10 user accounts.

So John Smith the sales manager can be set up with SMTP addresses like:

john@company.com
jsmith@company.com
salesmgr@company.com

The above would be one account with 3 SMTP addresses VS having 3 seperate email addresses that probably lead you down the Network Solutions path in the first place.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Wow mark great post!
I never thought of that. I already got the network solutions account. Can I just bypass that and go your route instead?
You can email me directly at jerry_mcse AT yahoo DOT com.
Thanks, JerryS

[afro]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back