Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sbs2000 vmm.exe causes 100% cpu usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

elquiff

Technical User
Mar 5, 2003
GB
SBS SP1

Suddenly as if by magic the pop3 connector is causing 100%cpu usage when started. The offending service is vmm.exe. It has been running fine for months without a problem.

Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Apologies all the file is vmimb.exe not vmm.exe

Can you go into task manager and change it's priority?

yes have tried changing priority has no effect. I am coming round to the conclusion that there might be some code running possible virus, although sophos is installed and working.

Hi , I have two client companies with this issue.

I have in the mean time installed a third party pop connector, but I would like to get to the bottom of this.

I have tried extending the connector scheduled download
to 2 hrs after a reboot, things are ok until the pop connector triggers then vmimb.exe runs at 90-99% for around
15 - 20 minutes, causing problems with users on the server.

It's strange that this has happend since the release of the
MYDoom Virus....

I too have scanned for all known viruses and the systems is clean.

Surely someone at Microsoft has seen this by now.

Took me awhile but finally got to the bottom of this. There were no error messages.

Go to the program files, backoffice, pop3 connector and have a look at the incoming folder you may find there are a number of emails in there. One particular email was in there multiple times and had jammed up the connector stopping mails being forwarded into exchange and jamming up the connector. New mails were being downloaded and just seemed to be being backed up behind this.

I managed to stop the service and deleted the mails that were causing the problem. When the service was resarted all decent emails within this were then forwarded correctly and I have not had any problems since.

This happened on two servers in two clients I look after at exactly the same time. They had both received the same email. The email had 2500 people in the to line and this just appeared to overload the pop3 connector.

I found the person who sent out the email and advised them (by phone) of the utter chaos their email caused and that it was basically SPAM.

Nightmare

Hope this helps you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back