Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS03 Shuts Down Every 4 Hours as Member of Workgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunwindandsea

Programmer
Dec 20, 2001
US
I originally setup this server a a domain controller. Later, I removed the server from the domain group and made it a member of a workgroup. About a week after I changed the server to a member of a workgroup and not a domain the server started to shut down every 4 hours or so.

Researching the problem I discovered that the only way to fix the problem was to reconfigure the server a member of a domain and create a domain controller. I do not want to do this. Is there a way to stop the server from shutting down as a member of a workgroup without going the domain route?

Thanks for your help, Ed

SBS is designed to be a DC in the forest root of an AD forest.
If all you need is a workgroup server, you should just install Windows Server 2003 on a box, and not SBS.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

There is no way around it if you have a SBS 2003 server. It has to write to some schema and if it can't write to it, it will automatic shut down your server.

You are better off installing Windows 2003 Server just as 58sniper recommend. I belive you can look in your even logs and lookup the event id. There should be a Microsoft article why the server shuts down on it's own.

I had the same issue. If you look, right before the SBS Server shuts down, it displays a message that tells you that another SBS DC has been found and it is shutting down. trimelater is right, no way around it, you need to use 2003 Server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back