Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS VPN connection..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamlync

Technical User
Apr 9, 2002
GB
I have a firewall with built in VPN and a windows 2000 SBS with 2 nic's

The local lan is 200.200.200.x with the firewall connected directly to the other server nic on a 192.198.100.x the firewall then does NAT to the internet.

When i connect using the VPN i connect fine to the firewall - and can ping the 192.168.100.x card of the server - but cannot get through the server to the local lan. Also i cannot get to any shares on the server using \\192.168.100.x\sharename or \\200.200.200.x\sharename

Now i assume that either
a) i have to get SBS to do the VPN termination rather than the firewall as this will be the only way get the traffic to pass through the cards.

or

b)i need to enable something under SBS to allow traffic through the cards onto the local lan - it is using ISA as we are using outlook web access + proxy server..

Any thoughts...?

Thanks for any help given,...

Tam

I'm not sure what SBS is, but I have a similar setup. However, my firewall does not have the VPN setup on it.

What I've done was set up the two nic cards to talk through Internet Connection Sharing (I assume you did this, if not, I'll explain that too, it could be tricky). I used Routing and Remote Access (RRAS) to set up the VPN connection and setup the client. I've have not been totally successful, but I can ping from within the network to outside my firewall. I'm having a permissions problem and my LAN losses internet access (I think due to lack of a filter).

Hope this is of some help. I haven't gotten too many responses to my questions either.

Joe

SBS is small business server .. rather than just server .

Basically what i am assuming is that the firewall/vpn box needs to be made redundant - and that the ports sould be forwarded to the internal server which then has the MS VPN set-up on it.

This seems to be the only way to allow the server to forward the traffic to it's local side.

Tam

Couple of things I think you can do:

- Go to the website of the firewall mfr and see if they have a procedure for setting up the firewall VPN. My Watchguard SOHO has good instructions for this.

- Dissable VPN in the firewall (if possible)so that you will simply route through it.

Again, we're not totally successful with our VPN either. If you want I could e-mail you with the details of what we did so far. There was some kind of connection but the client did not have permission for access (we're still working on that).

Hope this helps

Joe

Check that you are getting an IP address from the RRAS.The VPN clients should get an address, if not ensure that the DHCP proxy service is enabled and reserving addresses.
It sounds like you are hitting the outside interface, but are not getting an address that is consistent with the inside interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back