Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS Backup Utility

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuart87

Technical User
Jan 29, 2007
GB
Hi all

I have a SBS2003 client who is using Symantec Backup Exec 8.6.

We have just got them a new tape drive which isn’t being recognized in Symantec Backup Exec so we are trying to use SBS backup under server manager. However the backup keeps failing with the error:

The device reported an error on a request MS_updateNTmsomidinfo.
Error reported: 11

I have been reading and a lot of people are saying Symantec is the problem but they all relate to version 9.1 . Do you think it will still count for the older version we are using? The link to the page on Symantec’s website is:

Has anyone else got any other ideas what the problem might be?

Thank you all for your help in advance

Stuart

Thank you for the quick response. I will try that and see how it goes.

If that still doesn't work, try setting the Removable Storage services to Manual and stopping it. It should start if NTBackup needs it.

Of the 20+ SBS servers that I directly or indirectly manage, all of them are using native SBS NTBackup and not any 3rd party solution.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

I agree with Shackdaddy on using the native SBS Backup. It works great and combined with VSS on shares the data is pretty well protected. But I think backup to disk using the RD1000 from Dell or something from CRU-Data port is a much better solution than tape.

But try this MS KB288856 article.

Thank you all for your input it is really appreciated.

Stuart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back