Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS 4.5 server login script on XP Pro workstations

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastendr

Technical User
Jun 17, 2003
GB
I've got an SBS 4.5 (NT4 SP6a) server with 50 users in a domain. I'm replacing some workstations (W98) with XP Pro and cannot get the login script to run on xp when joining the domain.

The login.bat is on a share called netlogon.

In users profile editor in XP I've tried just login.bat, but script does not (unsurprisingly) run.

I'm trying to qualify the path with \\servername\netlogon\login.bat, but get an error saying it is not a correct relative path name.

It's probably blindingly obvious, but eluding me this morning !!

Thanks,

Rick.

The script needs to be in the following directory:

C:\Winnt.sbs\System32\Repl\Import\Scripts

Dev

Thanks, Dev.

The script is in that directory, and it has a share name of netlogon.

The W98 workstations see it OK.

Rick.

And you have joined the new workstations to the domain and removed the old Win98 statoins? (in case you nemed them the same)

If so at the ctrl+alt+delete you should be able to specify your domain and logon. Can you at least logon to the domain? Have you configured your TCP/IP settings unless you are using DHCP on the server. Have you added the script to the users in User Manger for Domains?

Dev

Thanks again, DEV.

The XP machines have new logins. They are joined to the domain. They have unique IP addresses (not DNS). The script is added in user manager for domains.

Rick

I'm trying to qualify the path with \\servername\netlogon\login.bat, but get an error saying it is not a correct relative path nam

There is no path. That is for creating user shares / home directories. You should move the login script out of netlogon and leave it directly in the folder Scripts. In User Manager, under a users properties, profile, you should just have login.bat where it asks for Logon Script Name.

The full path to the script is \\servername\winnt.sbs\system32\repl\import\scripts
(this folder has a share name of NETLOGON)

Under user manager for domains \ profile

the user profile path is blank
the logon script name is login.bat
home directory entries are empty

Rick.

Remove the netlogon folder and put the login.bat directly in the scripts folder.

The script is in the scripts folder, as detailed above. The folder is also SHARED as netlogon.

Kind of stumped without looking at the network. We just upgraded all of our 98 stations to XP pro and are running SBS 4.5 and I never had any problems running the scripts.

So when you login an xp station you can browse the network and connect to shares that way?

I am having this problem since i switched to windows 2000 from 98. What scripts would i need and where do i need to put them. My workstations tell me server not configured for transactions when i try to get on network

I can browse and access all directories that I have set permissions for.

I also have novell client for netware loaded (we use SBS and NW5.1 servers). The login script works on the XP stations exactly as on the W98 ones.

Still no automatic running of the login script though.

It's nice to have a problem that's not just a product of brain fade !!

Rick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back