Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS 2k3 to host website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knudmt

IS-IT--Management
Jul 10, 2010
US
Hello all,

I am a newbie to server administration. I have SBS 2003 2k3 r2 that I just did a fresh install on. My boss wants this server to host a website. I am having some issues with this.

Topology: Server --> router/modem combo --> sonicWall firewall --> other pc's are plugged into firewall.

The modem/router is running DHCP.

^ is this correct?

I ran the CEICW and completed successfully. I can not access the page from the server or any other pc. On the server I get a pretty little error page that says I do not have permission access this. On the other pcs it simply states that the page cannot be displayed.

I installed all the updates and exchange server sp2 and sharepoint sp2.

This server does not do anything besides host a webpage. I have done some research and it seems that the Server might have to be an AD, DNS, and run the DHCP. is this true?

Yes, all that is true about having AD, DNS and DHCP. But you know what? SBS Server is not intended to publish websites for the public, just for internal employees, so it will be difficult for you to set it up to do that.

Here's the key to your problem getting on CompanyWeb: Your server and all your workstations should all be using your server's IP for DNS, not your ISP's DNS servers. Since you are using your router for DHCP, it's giving everyone the wrong DNS server addresses. If your workstations were asking your server for "companyweb" it would tell them the right answer, but they are asking the external DNS servers, and those servers don't know what the heck companyweb is. In an SBS environment, everything needs to point at the SBS server for DNS in order to work.

Dave Shackelford MVP
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

I agree with ShackDaddy about the DNS issue. If your PCs aren't talking to DNS in the SBS server they won't be able to find the site, unless you adjust each machines host file to which would match up companyweb with your SBS server IP.

As for not being able to asscess the page even when you are on the server sounds like the CEICW wizard wasn't completed correctly. Make sure you allow access to SharePoint since that is what Companyweb is built in.

However it is not to difficult to setup the SBS server to serve out web pages to the internet. All you have to do is go into the IIS area create a new website and then under the new sites properties tell it what web address you want it to host, ie. What you are actually doing is setting up a virtual web host to server internet users.
Here is a site that will walk you through the process, should you need it.

Thank you. I purchased a domain a week ago, made a cname record, aname, record and the isp points it to my public IP. my public IP is attached to my firewall and 1-1 Nat is sending all traffic from my router to my firewall. just gonna do some port forwarding on the firewall and all should be well. we shall see! thanks for the reply

Disable DNS on the firewall. You should let SBS do that as it will then use DDNS and allow the DHCP clients to register with DNS.

When you run CEICW you have the option to publish SharePoint externally if you want. This isn't done normally but nothing wrong with it if you really want to.

Verify that users have been assigned to access the Companyweb site. You can add users via the SharePoint Administration link under Admin tools.

You might need to add a registry key to allow the server itself to view SharePoint.

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\

Create a new DWORD called DisableLoopbackCheck and set its value to 1.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back