Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS 2011 and Server 2012 Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

mchainman

Technical User
Jan 25, 2015
US
I'm trying to find out if you can run Server 2012 and SBS 2011 within the same domain. Now the 2012 doesn't include Sharepoint I would like to keep the SBS 2011 in place for the sharepoint functionality, but I would also like to start migrating the domain towards 2012. I would like to run 2012 as my primary DC and SBS 2011 as by secondary DC, but I can't find much information about the compatibility between the two.

There are no compatibility issues.

SBS will always technically need to be the primary DC (holding all five FSMO roles) till you remove it, but you could have DHCP and DNS point to the new 2012 DC first if that's what you want.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net

Totally agree with ShackDaddy. WOudl just add that if all you need is SharePoint, well that is a free add on for the 2012 server.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Mark

No trees were harmed in posting this message, however a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back