Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS 2008 RWW login with W7 requires domain\username?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarzan

Programmer
Apr 22, 2003
US
In the past when connecting to a computer (with XP) using RWW in SBS 2008, I enter my username and password twice; once at the RWW login screen, and once after selecting a computer to log on to.

Since upgrading my workstation to Windows 7, I can no longer just type my username... I have to type "Domain\Username". If I omit the domain name, it tries to use "RemoteComputer\username", which of course will fail.

Is there a reason for this, and is there some way to not require the domain name to be entered?

There's no way to change that behavior, but there is a way to make things easier for you:

Create a new RDP shortcut and configure the Gateway settings on the Advanced tab to point to the public name of your server (remote.domain.com). And on the first tab of the shortcut, put the internal name of your workstation that you want to connect to. Also, put your creds in: domain\username and then save the shortcut. Now you don't have to use RWW to jump to your desktop, just use your shortcut, put in password, and you're in.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Thanks for that, ShackDaddy. That's exactly what I'm doing already internally... I should said that the problem only occurs for me when connecting from outside via RWW. And it seems to only be when connecting to a W7 machine. So, I guess I will have to live with that. Thanks.

You missed what guitarzan was saying. You can connect using the Remote Desktop Gateway and you don't even have to login to RWW at all.

Double click once and you are connected.

Yep, I'm asking you to use the RDP shortcut from the outside instead of messing with RWW. In general, I find RWW to be a pain and would much rather just give people custom RDP shortcuts to use if they are mainly using RWW to connect to their workstations.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Sorry ShackDaddy, I got the handles mixed up! I feel the same way about RWW. It's pretty cool and greatly enhanced in 2011, but if you are going to RDP anyway there's nothing there you don't have on your desktop. I don't know if you have used 2011 yet, but it actually creates the RDP shortcut for you to completely bypass RWW without having to do it manually as in 08.

Yes gmannatl, you are right, I did miss some of ShackDaddy's point.

Still doesn't help me though. Yes, I could distribute a custom RDP file, but that would significantly change the procedure prescribed to staff by management on how to connect to the office from their client's computers, and I'm not looking to do that right now. I'm just wondering why using RWW sometimes requires the domain before the username... I'm not even sure that Win7 has anything to do with it now either, I think I have connected to other Win7 computers without entering the domain. Just very weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back