Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sbs 2008 migration problem source server minimum requirements wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCSLOY

Technical User
Jun 7, 2007
NO

I have run into a problem installing sbs in migration mode, it has gotten to the point of checking the minimum requirements of the source server. It is indicating that the domain and forest functional level are not 2003, which they are, and that exchange is not running service pack 2, which it is. I have a backup of the system state which was taken 3 weeks ago before i started raising function levels etc.Would rstoring the system state roll back the system to before the functions levels were raised? I have run Bpa on the sbs 2003 box and it shows no problems.Has anyone experianced this? I attach a copy of the sbs 2008 install log.If anyone could have a look at the log, i would be very grateful.

Many thanks

did you run migration prep tool on the source server or just raise the functional level?

weight.png

Msny thanks for your replies. I did exactly as the migratation guide from Microsoft advised in regard to raising levels, service packs etc.This is my first sbs 2008 migration and this really has stumped me. Would restoring a a 3 week old copy of the system state (taken before function levels were raised etc) rollback the system without causing any problems to the sbs 2003 server?

When I read your log, it looks like you don't have full RPC\WMI communication between your two servers. When it attempts to check the Exchange and AD SP/functional levels, it actually fails to reach the old server, so it "fails" those tests. I would turn off the firewall and any network AV you have on the old server before running the migration wizard. Also, I would recommend downloading the EBS Prep tool ( and running it on your old server before trying the migration again, as it will let you know if there are any local issues.

As far as rolling back, there probably aren't any changes made to your old DC yet that would require you to restore previous system state. Just running AD-prep or forest-prep would cause no issues with functionality on your existing server, and it doesn't seem like you've gotten far enough in the migration to have broken anything on the original server.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net

Hi Dave

Thanks for reading the log for me. I shall try your suggestion tomorrow.Have used over a day on this and couldnt find a thing on google! I will let you know how it went

Cheers

Martin

Hi

Have still not got any further with this problem. Ran the ebs prep tool and only warning was in regard to reliable time source, i can confirm both servers are within 1 minute of each other.switched off Norman anti virus and ran port query tool and ports tcp 135 and 445 are listening. Both servers are on same subnet and there is a cisco pix 501 firewall which has a strict outgoing access list.Would that affect migration? Also when i ping sbs 2003 from sbs 2008. it returns ip of a network printer,but from any other machine,returns correct ip.strange.ran netdiag and only fault was this
Redir and Browser test . . . . . . : Failed
List of NetBt transports currently bound to the Redir
[FATAL] The redir isn't bound to any NetBt transports.

List of NetBt transports currently bound to the browser
[FATAL] The browser isn't bound to any NetBt transports.
[FATAL] Cannot send mailslot message to '\\ADVFTT*\MAILSLOT\NET\NETLOGON' vi
a redir. [ERROR_NETNAME_DELETED]

Any suggestions are most welcome!

Make sure that the SBS 2008 server is pointed at the SBS 2003 server for DNS until the migration is complete.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net

Hi Dave

The sbs 2008 is pointed towards the sbs 2003 box.Sbssetup log show step 1 of 4 has been carried out.Do you think tinkering with adsiedit for function level and regedit for service packs would help?

Can you try turning off the Windows Firewall on the SBS 2003 server? I may be wrong, but what I saw in your logs was an inability to communicate, not a confirmation of a problem with AD-level settings.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net

Hi Dave

Finally made a break through today with an MS engineer.checked all settings and unistalled Norman av from server. Closer inspection of the bpa reveal contradictory messages,ie about exchange.I will continue the job on monday and will let you know of any more strange things that might happen! cheers for all your help

Martin

Ok, good.

In general I would install AV as the very LAST thing in a migration, after you've verified that ActiveSync and Outlook Anywhere and everything else is working properly. That way if something breaks when you install it, you know what to blame. Installing AV early on before a migration is generally a bad idea.

I'm seeing AV and online-backup agents break a lot of things lately.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net

Hi Dave

It was the av on the sbs 2003! disabled it with instructions from Norman,but still no joy!

I would actually uninstall it. I've never seen disabling AV resolve a problem, only complete removal of the agent.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back