Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS 2003 SERVER LOCKS UP RANDOMLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 23, 2003
US
I have a SBS 2003 server installed at a client. It was working fine for about 2 weeks. All of a sudden, the Server would lock up(NO response from KB or Mouse) A hard reboot is required to get it back. It happens multiple times a day, when users are on the system or at 11pm. I replaced the server hardware. I'm stumped !!!The server runs a Clarion application, which required that Hyperthreading be turned off. I have Symantec antivirus running and there are no viruses found. Any ideas?

Thanks

Any System or Application events in the Event Log just prior to crashes?

Run a RAM diagnostic (or swap all the RAM), and maybe take extra hard drives off the system for the time being. I had an HP TC2110 running 2003 that would randomly reboot when I had a certain type of 36GB IBM SCSI drive on. Took it off, never a problem.

Lockups usually end up being RAM or CPU errors. Often changing out the video card can help.

Video cards/drivers are always suspect but I would take out the antivirus s/w. I've heard of problems with symantec AV especially with server 2003.

Network Associates Active AV defense is working OK on my only Windows Server 2003 site but that isn't SBS.

As almost all viruses these days come in via email you should be safe with desktop AV for a short while. Some desktop clients can be set up to scan the server.

A consultant colleague of mine swears he won't let his clients install SBS2003 until SP1, as he had a lot of problems with it both in beta and released versions. SP1 is due soon isn't it?

Regards

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back