Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS 2003 reusing product key

Status
Not open for further replies.

jw306

Technical User
Sep 24, 2009
GB
Hello,

Currently building an SBS 2003 server using a HP Proliant ML350 G5. I have installed the OS which accepted the product key from the customers existing sever, now i have come to activate windows the same product key is coming back as unauthorised.

My question is how can i get this server registered, is there any way to use the existing key or will i have to get a new one??

Thanks

J

yep, the original server running SBS was built a few years back by another company. We have been asked to replace the server with a more powerful one as the amount of users has increased quite alot. The original server is still at the customers office where it is used daily, i am hoping that i can take the product key from the original and use it in the newer server.

Was expecting to be able to unregister the old one and use the product key in the new one, is this possible??

Cheers
J

You would be in breech of the licensing agreement if you managed to do that. OEM Licenses stay with the hardware.

If I were you, I would purchase another copy.

Get them to purchase the MS action pack. With that they can use SBS 2003/2008 as long as it's only for internal use.

weight.png

Their place on the Partner Program would need to be legitimate in order to legally use the licenses given out under the MAPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back