Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sbs 2003 patially failed sp2 update

Status
Not open for further replies.

etherbadger

Technical User
Feb 22, 2006
US
I have a sbs2003 server that is having trouble updating to SP2. it was showing the problem with too many updates installed (addressed here: )

Before I could run that fix, the customer tried to install sp2 themselves, I'm not sure what they did to get it to install but it seems to have really screwed up their system.

Add and remove programs has service pack 2 listed as a 29mb package installed 4/28/2008 but will not uninstall. It hangs running pre-uninstall processes.

Winver reports the server has no service pack.

the thing that made them call was a reboot of the server:
DHCP does not work anymore. it is failing to start with:

Event ID: 1004
The DHCP service successfully restored the database.

Event ID: 1004
The DHCP service failed to initialize the database. The following error occurred:
%%65535

Event ID: 1008
The DHCP service is shutting down due to the following error:
%%65535

IIS is not working. I cannot connect to IIS Manager, it gives an error: "The version of OLE on the client and server machines does not match" It is not serving up pages for anybody, local or remote.

Exchange is also throwing 1 error, but appears to be functioning:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSExchangeMU
Event ID: 1009
Description:
Failed to access the metabase, error code is 80010110 (The version of OLE on the client and server machines does not match.).

Eventsystem has an error as well:
Event Source: EventSystem
Event Category: (50)
Event ID: 4609

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 80010110 from line 44 of d:\nt\com\complus\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

Volume Shadow copy service is as well but is probably just a side effect of its dependency not working:
Event Source: VSS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 17

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: The EventSystem service is disabled or is attempting to start during Safe Mode. The Volume Shadow Copy service cannot start while in safe mode. If not in safe mode, make sure that EventSystem service is enabled. CLSID:{4e14fba2-2e22-11d1-9964-00c04fbbb345} Name:CEventSystem [0x80040206]

More from VSS:
Event Source: VSS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 8193

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040206.

The com+ service does not start:
Event Source: COM+
Event Category: (98)
Event ID: 4822

A condition has occurred that indicates this COM+ application is in an unstable state or is not functioning correctly. Assertion Failure: SUCCEEDED(hr)

Server Application ID: {02D4B3F1-FD88-11D1-960D-00805FC79235}
Server Application Instance ID:
{203082A4-9CE2-4975-8EAC-AF9BF33145E2}
Server Application Name: System Application
The serious nature of this error has caused the process to terminate.
Error Code = 0x8000ffff : Catastrophic failure
COM+ Services Internals Information:
File: d:\nt\com\complus\src\comsvcs\tracker\trksvr\trksvrimpl.cpp, Line: 3092
Comsvcs.dll file version: ENU 2001.12.4720.397 shp

It seems that most of the errors revolve around the code 80010110. The only description I can find for this is that the client and server OLE do not match which I already knew.

Sorry for the flood of event logs. Any help or pointers on what path to take would be appreciated. Since its update related, is it possible MS PSS would help without charging?

It is a single relativly small site and a 3 year old server so I could possibly sell them on a new machine, or at least a reload / swing migration.

well, i ended up trying to re-apply sp2 which resulted in a reboot loop, hanging on acpitabl.sys

a sbs 2003 repair install fixed that then applied sp2 and everything is peachy now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back